Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Are they any less southern for it, iyo? I think it's a shame that many young people especially in places like Houston have a boring General American accent. It's a shame they are ashamed of it and associate it with being untilligent or a 'hick.'

Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
It depends on what you're definition of "Southern" is. Do I make the presumption that they're smarter than Southerners with an accent? Yes. I do think that Southerners who are quick to lose their accents are probably less giddy with "Southern" pride and culture than the rest of their counterparts.

I am always delighted when I meet a Southerner with no discernible accent. That says to me that they're more interested in trying to fit into general society than to sound as though they have a mouthful of grits and super glue.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I am always delighted when I meet a Southerner with no discernible accent. That says to me that they're more interested in trying to fit into general society than to sound as though they have a mouthful of grits and super glue.
I like your point.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
It depends on what you're definition of "Southern" is. Do I make the presumption that they're smarter than Southerners with an accent? Yes. I do think that Southerners who are quick to lose their accents are probably less giddy with "Southern" pride and culture than the rest of their counterparts.

To me it is those who consciously try to change their accent - not those who naturally try to lose it - who are insecure. Smacks of snobbishness, and pandering to stupid northern stereotypes. If you live in the south you'll speak southern because that's just how they talk there. Nothing to do with having southern pride, or being a grit-chomping, yankee hating son or daughter of Dixie. Although there are probably some who exaggerate their natural accent, but I'm guessing they're a minority.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Generally, the 'urban' Southerners (ie Atlanta residents) have less of an accent. My guess as to why is that during our upbringing we were more often exposed to accents outside our region due to the heavy influx of transplants. I don't think in most cases it's a matter of trying to 'hide' our accent.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:

I'm a Yankee, Ohio born and bred and now a proud Michigander, but I have to ask, what in the world is wrong with Southern pride? People don't have a right to be proud of where they come from? So if you speak in a dialect that you learned from your parents who learned it from their parents and so on, you are supposed to ditch it in the name of "trying to fit into general society"? A "mouthful of grits and super glue'? That is such a condescending statement! I'm guessing here that by "fitting into general society" you mean being more like you and less like them? Then why don't you go to Georgia or South Carolina and talk only in a Southern accent while you're there so that you can fit into their "general society"?

Personally, I find a Southern accent charming and people who speak with one confident of where they come from. It's only the media that has portrayed people with Southern accents as backwoods hicks who dropped out of the third grade. Can't we distance ourselves from silly media stereotypes and allow people to be who they are with no preconceived notions?

Last edited by canudigit; 04-03-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are they any less southern for it, iyo? I think it's a shame that many young people especially in places like Houston have a boring General American accent. It's a shame they are ashamed of it and associate it with being untilligent or a 'hick.'
Houstonians have southern accents; it's just not as heavy as places like in smaller Texas towns or cities in Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Silly miamiman.....everyone knows you don't mix grits with superglue.

It ruins the flavor.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:

And do you feel the same way about people in Boston or NYC with strong accents? Are they not trying to fit into mainstream society?

I get the feeling the only accent you have a problem with is the Southern one.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houstonians have southern accents; it's just not as heavy as places like in smaller Texas towns or cities in Alabama or Mississippi.
Even here in Alabama many folks in the cities (Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville) speak with a more neutral accent, it's folks like me from smaller towns that have a stronger accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.