Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 127,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It depends on what you're definition of "Southern" is. Do I make the presumption that they're smarter than Southerners with an accent? Yes. I do think that Southerners who are quick to lose their accents are probably less giddy with "Southern" pride and culture than the rest of their counterparts.

I am always delighted when I meet a Southerner with no discernible accent. That says to me that they're more interested in trying to fit into general society than to sound as though they have a mouthful of grits and super glue.
Is there something wrong with speaking a dialect learned from birth? I have a Southern accent and while I am not a backwards hick, I am quite proud of my region and where I come from. If someone jumps to conclusions and believes I am unintelligent simply because of where I grew up and the mannerisms I've picked up, they are no better than the backwards trash they insult.

The Southerner with no accent either has not picked it up yet, just moved here, or is ashamed of themselves and their region. I will keep my mouthful of grits and super glue thank you very much.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
even in major cities in the south, anybody that isn't a transplant more than likely has a southern accent, even if you guys won't admit it.

to YOU, you might not hear it. to US we hear it. things like ya'll, own (instead of on), owl (instead of all), gown (instead of gone), etc. are dead giveaways.
LOL, you're right there, but if I tried to say those words the way "non-Southerners" say them I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It just doesn't sound right coming from these Southern lips.

IMO many people without Southern accents pronounce 'on' as "ahhn", and 'gone' as "gahn".

Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
LOL, you're right there, but if I tried to say those words the way "non-Southerners" say them I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It just doesn't sound right coming from these Southern lips.

IMO many people without Southern accents pronounce 'on' as "ahhn", and 'gone' as "gahn".
Standard American is a pretty goofy accent, but I appreciate it like I appreciate all accents.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_gallant View Post
Is there something wrong with speaking a dialect learned from birth? I have a Southern accent and while I am not a backwards hick, I am quite proud of my region and where I come from. If someone jumps to conclusions and believes I am unintelligent simply because of where I grew up and the mannerisms I've picked up, they are no better than the backwards trash they insult.

The Southerner with no accent either has not picked it up yet, just moved here, or is ashamed of themselves and their region. I will keep my mouthful of grits and super glue thank you very much.
>>>>>
If someone jumps to conclusions and believes I am unintelligent simply because of where I grew up and the mannerisms I've picked up, they are no better than the backwards trash they insult.
<<<<<

Right on the money here, Friend.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM

287 posts, read 498,721 times
Some of the most intellegent and highly educated people I've ever met had a southern accent and many had another. This whole thread is nonsense. This is just another elitist " southernerns are inferior" thread with no real rational arguments to support that opinion and needs to end here.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times
My experience has been that the more educated southerners speak with no accent, or at least are able to "turn off" their accents (mostly, anyway) for doing business. I'll never forget how this Southern girl I worked with, who had worked hard to lose or at least suppress whatever accent she had, got so furious with this older lady from Texas who would refuse to pronounce "insurance" correctly in her presentation for their group. She kept saying "IN-shur-ance", and I have to admit, it sounded very uneducated. The younger girl later was venting to us, saying "What was she doing, auditioning for the Grand Ole Opry?? 'Well y'all, y'all kin git this here IN-Sher-ance ya'll'...ugh, how did she get on this project???"

I think a southern drawl can sound OK but all too often they incorporate a lot of ignorant colloquialisms like mispronunciations or "y'all", and that's where they lose a lot of credibility and come off as ignorant. That's why so many of them work hard to lose their accents or to at least suppress them for business purposes. And they're wise to do that.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
My experience has been that the more educated southerners speak with no accent, or at least are able to "turn off" their accents (mostly, anyway) for doing business. I'll never forget how this Southern girl I worked with, who had worked hard to lose or at least suppress whatever accent she had, got so furious with this older lady from Texas who would refuse to pronounce "insurance" correctly in her presentation for their group. She kept saying "IN-shur-ance", and I have to admit, it sounded very uneducated. The younger girl later was venting to us, saying "What was she doing, auditioning for the Grand Ole Opry?? 'Well y'all, y'all kin git this here IN-Sher-ance ya'll'...ugh, how did she get on this project???"

I think a southern drawl can sound OK but all too often they incorporate a lot of ignorant colloquialisms like mispronunciations or "y'all", and that's where they lose a lot of credibility and come off as ignorant. That's why so many of them work hard to lose their accents or to at least suppress them for business purposes. And they're wise to do that.
What a charming story. That girl should have the snot slapped out of her for showing that kind of disrespect for an elder. I can't believe she was Southern.

And when did 'y'all' become an 'ignorant colloquialism'? I actually find the word to be quite efficient and a throwback to the days when our language included usage of the plural 'you' tense.
I suppose that in comparison, 'youse' is the King's English.

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-07-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

150 posts, read 467,932 times
I think a lot of people who've spent little time in the South are unable to differentiate between a mild regional accent that shapes certain vowels and the full blown grits and sweet tea stereotypical antebellum accent that you hear in parodies or satire.

I do agree that certain colloquialisms probably make southerners seem less intelligent and refined in the eyes of an outsider. I mean, starting your sentences by addressing someone as "Sugar" "Honey" "Baby" and the such seems infantile to me.

Also, when southerners use a lot of slang and throw out sloppy sentences like "Hey ya'll, what time we s'posed to be gittin down to tha skooooool? My boys is rarin' to go and we fixin' to be late!", it leads northerners to assume that the person speaking is totally unaware that their English isn't "correct". That sentence is not an exaggeration by any means, simply an attempt to phonetically translate the accent of most of the people that live in my area. That's just the way they talk. Much of my family sounds like this.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

I see you've branched out from comedy to fiction. What a vivid imagination!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM

287 posts, read 498,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I think a lot of people who've spent little time in the South are unable to differentiate between a mild regional accent that shapes certain vowels and the full blown grits and sweet tea stereotypical antebellum accent that you hear in parodies or satire.

I do agree that certain colloquialisms probably make southerners seem less intelligent and refined in the eyes of an outsider. I mean, starting your sentences by addressing someone as "Sugar" "Honey" "Baby" and the such seems infantile to me.

Also, when southerners use a lot of slang and throw out sloppy sentences like "Hey ya'll, what time we s'posed to be gittin down to tha skooooool? My boys is rarin' to go and we fixin' to be late!", it leads northerners to assume that the person speaking is totally unaware that their English isn't "correct". That sentence is not an exaggeration by any means, simply an attempt to phonetically translate the accent of most of the people that live in my area. That's just the way they talk. Much of my family sounds like this.

This is horse ****. I live in the deep south and have rarely heard anyone speak like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.