Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerJohn View Post
We are both 60. We just sold our house and would like to take the equity of $300,000 to buy another house (total costs so no mortgage) as we enter early retirement. Our family is scattered across the country so we're not tied to any particular area. We've read that the BEST HOUSING DEALS are in Florida, Arizona, Nevada right now. Basically we want a 3000 sq foot house on a large lot or small amount of acreage in a town or small city that boasts a good public library system, a college would be nice and at least an average growing season.

Any suggestions?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Lots of hiking, all year long, even in-town. Only a few miles to the mountains. Mild climate along the Front Range compared to the massive snow up in the ski areas like Aspen and Vail, etc. Very affordable homes of all sorts in all parts of town. Excellent Pikes Peak Library District. At least two colleges, the state-run UCCS and private Colorado College. You really owe it to yourself to come here.

Great hiking in nearby venues too, like Canon City, an even warmer place than COLO SPGS.

Lots of info in the COLO SPGS forum, and we've an index of key threads.

I'm not a realtor nor in any way connected to that biz. Read my story at: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
You might look around Denton, TX, but be sure and check how much your property taxes will be on a $300,000 house as well as your electric bill in the summer in Texas. Ain't cheap!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
IMHO I would plan to invest a portion of that money(think CD's, etc) and buy something less expensive. Do you REALLY want that big of a house??!! surely you would like to kick back and enjoy your time beyond having to clean and care for a larger home
As I have suggested elsewhere, Make that lists of Needs, versus wants. Start looking at less expensive homes, and work your way up. Maybe you will find exactly, or very close to, what you need. At a lesser price!!! you don't have to spend all that money in one place

Good luck where ever you go!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
If you have internet access,you don't need the public library...

You may consider coastal Houston,League City,Clear Lake,Taylor Lake,Seabrook,Kemah,San Leon.

A 0.2 lakefront lot ,5 min boat ride to the sea ,may go as low as 100K...

100k on the waterfront? I don't think so!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:09 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Oh but crazyma, he wants my place, lol!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
[Could I ask why a 3,000 sq, ft home , most people down size when they retire , my wife would have killed me

We Up sized to over 5000 sq ft. We have a home movie theatre - a LARGE kitchen as we entertain and cool A LOT. Fireplaces. Outdoor kitchen with a large pool and spa. etc. 10 acres.

We have loads of FUN - and, we travel a lot

Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 PM

118 posts, read 314,444 times
I check the HAR website,if it is lakefront it can be affordable...

A small & narrow lot can go that low in price...

For seafront you need 250K +

Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
crazyma is thinking...network network.....[Why painter, now that you have mentioned it,that is a LOVELY idea. It might fit the bill. Land, barn, pool, good price....I guess OP could figure out how to get in touch you LOL ]

okay back to my daze

carry on

Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
Talking Don't forget Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerJohn View Post
We are both 60. We just sold our house and would like to take the equity of $300,000 to buy another house (total costs so no mortgage) as we enter early retirement. Our family is scattered across the country so we're not tied to any particular area. We've read that the BEST HOUSING DEALS are in Florida, Arizona, Nevada right now. Basically we want a 3000 sq foot house on a large lot or small amount of acreage in a town or small city that boasts a good public library system, a college would be nice and at least an average growing season.

Any suggestions?
Things are still good here and the weather is fine.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:14 PM

101 posts, read 582,061 times
Where can you get good interest rates on new money these days? I'd love to know.

And what good will that even do if the expected big inflation caused by all this gov't money comes to pass. It that does happen, owning a fully paid off house--exactly as big as one wants it (it's nice to have space when the kids come visiting) might be a better deal than money losing value in the bank.

But I live in CA so I don't know many appealing places where you can get a 3000 sf house for that amount--if I knew, I'd be buying.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.