Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 PM

16 posts, read 88,186 times

Advertisements

I know, I know all over the place but those are the choices and we have to choose just one! Kinda hard as we have never been to ANY of them.

Here is a little background. Our family, that includes two children ages 4 and 2, live in San Diego right now and can't wait to move just based on home prices and cost of living alone. On the positive side, we love the outdoors and the cultural diversity of San Diego.

We don't mind urban living as long as it is safe and has easy access to a park(s). Nothing too rural as we don't like the feeling of being so isolated but a house on the water would be a dream come true. Schools are very important because of the kids.

What do you think?? Are they all about the same or is there a real choice to be made? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,796 times
greensboro is a great city for families....and we have great weather. also, housing is very affordable.

it'd be hard to top this area based on these 3 things alone.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM

52 posts, read 184,148 times
I Grew up in warwick and presently live about 15 min away. By the end of the year we will be moving to the WS/greensboro area so seeing these two cities was a surprise. Warwick isn't the greatest anymore w/ the possible airport expansion. A lot of traffic in warwick. Exeter is a nice area and only 15 mins to the beaches. Avg house in exeter for a 3 bed 2 bath is around the $300,000 range. Warwick is around 240,000-260,000 range. Taxes Suck!!!In exeter we are paying $3800 on a $280,000 house. I love RI but I'm moving beacuse the in-laws live in WS and the cost of living is ALOT cheaper. Our $280,000 house in Exeter would go for $150,000 in WS or Kernsville.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM

62 posts, read 176,584 times
Raised in Colo Spngs; father still there. Would not hesitate to live there again. Lot colder than San Diego, though.

Moving to near Burlington (within a decent commute of GSO) from southeast Florida. That says a lot.

Spent a lot of time in Portland in the past. Wet and Rainy.

Idaho, too damn cold. Worse than Colo.

RI, don't know a thing about it, but read friars post.

So in order of importance: Burlington, Colorado and who cares about the rest.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 AM

633 posts, read 2,542,767 times
wow, I'm in San Diego too. And our top choices are Denver, Raleigh/Charlotte, Seattle - very diverse as well. We LOVE The cold rainy weather and the snow. Yea, I know, how did I end up in San Diego? That's a long story, lol.

If I were you, I would choose Colorado Springs, but that is just based on my preference for colder weather.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,842 times
Definetly Colorado Springs!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM

191 posts, read 236,405 times
I'd pick Portland, and I was born in G'boro.

Colorado Springs is out b/c of Focus on the Family.
Boise is out b/c of the Mormons.
I'm not familiar with Warwick, RI but it seems like it would be awfully cold.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM

138 posts, read 787,623 times
Default COS - without a doubt

I'd move there in a minute if I could convince the wife to leave the east coast. Great place to raise a family and exceptional outdoor activities: Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, skiing, etc. Denver's only an hour away for big events.

Greensboro is nice, but nothing special for outdoor recreation. I'm not a fan of the humid summers either.

Portland ... well, I've never been so I have to eliminate it by default.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM

38 posts, read 130,227 times
I would choose Portland because of the DRAMATIC scenery. WOW!!!

Greensboro is a great family place - quality of living is very good - but it is BORING! Watch out for the Guilford County school system due to the fact that they cannot get their acts together.

Good Luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 43,767 times
I've lived in the Portland area for many years. There are alot of great qualities about the area; beautiful parks, great scenery, coast and the mountains 2 hours away. In addition, the economy is still good. But the downside is huge: the weather, it is almost impossible to get used to the rain, gloom and damp days from much of Sept. to July, 5th. Today is a GREAT day, but you can't count on it. Average home prices are in the high $300s on up. It has gotten quite expensive. If you want to live on waterfront property times any house by 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.