Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times

Advertisements

Worst state I've ever lived in is Michigan..... I don't think the reasons why need to be explained, pretty obvious. I lived in metro Detroit, but I will say that I enjoyed the western side of the state a bit more when I went over there.

Loved the other three states I've lived in..... Texas, Florida and Georgia.... in that order.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Florida because of its low wages and lack of career opportunities. Also most cities lack any urban feel at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyone who moves hundreds of miles away to a different climate and thinks that the culture/vibe/atmosphere is going to be the same as the place they left is not a very smart or logical person at all. And the problems they have with their new place of residence are PERSONAL problems for the most part b/c many times they do nothing but focus on the differences. Growing up in Northern CA then moving to Southern CA I see all the time with Northern Californians complaining about the differences between NorCal and SoCal. It's different b/c IT IS SOUTHERN CA. The South is different because IT IS THE SOUTH! If you don't like the culture/atmosphere then fine, to each their own. But its so annoying when people only look at places and life from their narrow point of view and can't comprehend that other people in other places are used to something different and its not necessarily better or worse form the most part. All regions of this country seem to have their fair share of ignorance and close minded people, just in different ways imo.
Good post. At least SOMEBODY is sticking up for us LOL.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Worst state I've ever lived in is Michigan..... I don't think the reasons why need to be explained, pretty obvious. I lived in metro Detroit, but I will say that I enjoyed the western side of the state a bit more when I went over there.

Loved the other three states I've lived in..... Texas, Florida and Georgia.... in that order.
Texas and Florida. Those are my 2 favorite. Georgia is cool to.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Florida because of its low wages and lack of career opportunities. Also most cities lack any urban feel at all.
Miami OR Miami Beach have NO urban feel whatsoever. Im not trying to knock you're opinion, im just curious.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Just because we in the south can recognize that Jackson Pollack is full of crap and menstrual art is disgusting doesn't mean we have no culture. As the only NW Georgia Native so far to post on this thread, I feel inclined to chuckle about it. I have travelled all over the U.S.(48 out of 50, sorry Cali and Hawaii, not yet, I'm coming), and can honestly say I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Perhaps the demand of the 20 million people in NYC call for more diversity and amenities. Downtown NYC is imposing(Pales in comparison with Boston, I might add)But I am sick and tired of people who do not understand other people's cultures and ideals, who claim to be worldly, cultured and liberal, bashing parts of the world that they don't understand. I have learned something from every place that I've been. And to the OP, the people who you encountered? They were what is called "nice". You, on the other hand, seem to be an A-hole.
Hey Georgiafrog, I tried to give you a rep point but I guess I already have at some point. Here is a thumbs up from me anyway . I love how people who post with such sweeping generalizations think they sound so sophishicated trashing an entire state. Just because they can not appreciate anything that's different than where they come from. It just shows how truly narrow minded and ignorant they are. Being from the mountains in N.C. with my funny accent (LOL) there are places in my own state that I would not want to live in. That doesn't make it a bad place. By the way, can't think of a neater place in the whole country than Savannah. Kiawah Island, (if you can afford it) is the most beautiful place I have ever been on the coast in my opinion.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
North carolina

Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,076 times
Thumbs down What Is the Worst State You Ever Lived In and WHY?

The worst place I've ever lived in my life is Detroit, Michigan. I have nothing positive to say about the city for several reasons, but I will only post the main ones.
1. The city is dirty, high crime, impoverished, and depressing. The city is dirty b/c the negligence and lack of concern about respect and love for the city.People have no problem just throwing trash on vacant lots, and the city maintenance has no regard for the upkeep of the city whatsoever. In the winter, citizens cannot get out from their homes b/c the city is irresponsible in attending to streets that are covered with snow and many of the citizens are without city services to take care of the streets so they can get out from their homes and travel safely. The citizens do not have a voice and their many concerns go un heard. Seniors that have lived in the city are living in fear of being robbed, murdered, or mugged because of the high crime. Emergency response is unbelievably slow and some people have died because of it, dead bodies are in the streets needing to be taken to the morgue, and the emergency response takes hours to get to a location.
2. Greed & More Greed: Detroit is one of the most greediest corrupted cities. The love of money is such at a high degree, but the love and concern for the children and disinfranchised is none. The DPS is suffering and several schools are closing. Drugs and drug addicts are taking over the city and police protection is being cut.
3. Unfriendly people: The people of Detroit(West Side) are the worst! They are gossipy, cold, and fake. They seem like they're friendly, but they are so fake and ghetto it's a shame. They are also very militant and very hard to get along with. They will fight over a little of nothing! They are also hustlers...they will try to hustle you any way they can! It's hustling everywhere, but, I know and understand why Detroit is called the hustle capital of the U.S.!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 PM

134 posts, read 412,822 times
I've never lived in Detroit, but I was there a few years ago with my family and thought the downtown was downright SCARY. I've been to other large cities--Baltimore,New York,Atlanta,Columbus,OH and didn't feel the fear as I did in Detroit--maybe because of its reputation. I'm not saying there aren't nice places or nice people in Detroit,but I think it's one city I'd never live in.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
I lived in NorthNJ all my life, but i visited whole summers in the Bronx and loved it there. I love NNJ and the Bronx equally the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.