Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I've only lived in 2 states: Florida and South Carolina. Didn't like South Carolina to much. Too rural, kind of boring, too cold in the winter
As a native South Carolinian, I can understand the rural and boring complaints to an extent (doesn't sound like you lived in one of the larger urban areas), but too cold in the winter is a first--unless your basis of comparison is Florida. If that's the case, the majority of states will receive that designation from you.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As a native South Carolinian, I can understand the rural and boring complaints to an extent (doesn't sound like you lived in one of the larger urban areas), but too cold in the winter is a first--unless your basis of comparison is Florida. If that's the case, the majority of states will receive that designation from you.
No I didn't live in a metro area, and like I said, I've only live in 2 states, FL and SC, so yes, I am basing my comparison on FL. I didn't hate SC, I just hated the circumstance for which I was there, and I didn't like it compared to FL, thats all.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Lived in Louisiana my entire life! I guess its the worst state I've lived in...and the best.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I've never lived in a "Bad" state. I've lived in Maryland, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine. I liked Maine the least due to the completely rural nature of the place. However, to call it a "bad" state because it didn't fit my tastes would be unfair. It's a beautiful state (the people are friendly) and a nice place to visit. However, given my preference for an urban lifestyle, there is nowhere in Maine that it can be fulfilled and that's why I cared for it the least out of the places I've lived.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
No I didn't live in a metro area, and like I said, I've only live in 2 states, FL and SC, so yes, I am basing my comparison on FL.
OK, that explains it. You're just used to subtropical winters. But when compared with the rest of the nation, SC's winters are pretty mild even though there is the occasional snow shower or ice storm.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I would say based on my travels I haven't found the South to be any friendlier than the Midwest, or even rural areas of the Northeast. The friendliest place I've been is actually Cleveland OH. Based on people I've met at major tourist sites I'd say Minnesota has the friendliest people.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I hate winter but I'd love to live in South Carolina. But I can see why South Carolina would seem cold compared to Florida. Although, it depends which point you're comparing in each state. The winters in Charleston and Hilton Head aren't much different than the winters in the Florida Panhandle. But Greenville and Miami would be a noticeable difference.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I lived in upstate NY and Maine during college. I couldn't stand living in Maine. Too cold and too much snow for me. I also felt like the culture there was WAY different than what I'm used to. All they liked to do was sit in the woods and drink, watch Nascar 24/7, and go 4 wheeling. Those things aren't popular at all where I grew up. I felt so out of place. I was the only person from the NYC area in my entire college. Don't get me wrong, Maine is a beautiful place to vacation, but living there is different. I like to occasionally go up to visit, but I couldn't ever live there again.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I've lived in three states for more than one year each. Those are Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. Though it isn't the case anymore, if I compare my experiences from those time periods, Texas was my least favorite.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I would say based on my travels I haven't found the South to be any friendlier than the Midwest, or even rural areas of the Northeast. The friendliest place I've been is actually Cleveland OH. Based on people I've met at major tourist sites I'd say Minnesota has the friendliest people.
yeah, i agree (sorry it's OT). i've found the friendliest ppl to be in boston, quite honestly. i spent a lot of time in minneapolis and people there weren't unfriendly, but not as friendly as Boston in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.