Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The cold can limit your activity level, but not to the degree the extreme heat does. When it's between 20-30 degrees, appropriate, comfortable outerwear can make it so you can stay outside all day if you want (and if you don't make it all day, the climate controlled indoors are waiting for you). It's easy to layer up clothing to stay warm while it's cold. Sure, here in New England, there are bitter cold days where it's 0 degrees or 10 degrees, but those are few and far between (here in Maine I can count about 3 or 4 this winter). Even still, appropriate clothing will keep you warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for extended periods even in the extreme cold.

You're right. Growing up, I played at various ice hockey rinks around the northeast. It wasn't so bad--if it was really cold out, we just wore an extra shirt under our equipment.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
I'm also in the minority on here.

I love warm weather and hate the cold. I wouldn't mind living in Florida. It's not necessarily my favorite warm weather state, but I don't think I'd mind living there. I love sun and the beach.

I live in southern Nevada right now, so I'm used to a mild climate. I think having 4 seasons is overrated.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default My Dad was a longshoreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sure. If you are hot, jumping into a cool pool or air conditioning will cool you off immediately while if you're cold, stepping into the heat will heat you up, but it takes a minute or two to get rid of some of the chills (though a hot tub is instant- just not always handy). That being said, the difference (to me, anyway) is almost immaterial.

The kicker for me is that it's easier to STAY warm than it is to STAY cool. When it's 95 degrees, humid, and bright and sunny, you can only take off so many layers of clothes. If you plan on being outside, you can be wearing the legally minimal amount of clothing and still be sweating bullets (you'll need to be inside shortly). Once you hit that certain temperature (90+ degrees which is common throughout the summer months in FL), you're going to roast unless your indoors and air-conditioned which REALLY limits your activity level.

The cold can limit your activity level, but not to the degree the extreme heat does. When it's between 20-30 degrees, appropriate, comfortable outerwear can make it so you can stay outside all day if you want (and if you don't make it all day, the climate controlled indoors are waiting for you). It's easy to layer up clothing to stay warm while it's cold. Sure, here in New England, there are bitter cold days where it's 0 degrees or 10 degrees, but those are few and far between (here in Maine I can count about 3 or 4 this winter). Even still, appropriate clothing will keep you warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for extended periods even in the extreme cold.

In the end, it's much easier (and healthier... air quality is worse in high heat and humidity) to enjoy the outdoors when it's cold. No matter what you do in the extreme heat, you need to either constantly have cold water on you or places to get out of the sun in order to function for an extended period of time. In the cold, appropriate clothing is all you need. If temperatures range (like they do up here) during the day, layers solve the problem. I find it MUCH easier to stay warm in the cold of the North than I find it to stay cool in the South.
He worked the docks of NYC outside during all kinds of weather from snowstorms to brutal heat. As you said, he would wear about 4 layers of clothing under his jacket in extreme cold and snow. He had this wool hat with attached ear muffs that tied under his chin which he wore under his hard hat. No matter what the weather the ships cargo had to be unloaded and put on trucks. They didn't cancel this because of weather. He didn't complain about the cold, but he did with extreme heat. No AC on these piers and then what? I think I learned the fine art of layering for the cold from seeing my Dad.

I think there are probably a lot of people out there who just plain don't like wearing clothes at all. I think that is one reason they like these hot climates. If they could be stark naked, they would be very happy. I like wearing flannels, wool sweaters, down, etc. To me it is comfort thing. It is like being wrapped up nice and warm in your own little cocoon.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I think having 4 seasons is overrated.
Exactly. What a lot of people don't understand is that you can live somewhere warm and have 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall). The only season you don't have is winter.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're right. Growing up, I played at various ice hockey rinks around the northeast. It wasn't so bad--if it was really cold out, we just wore an extra shirt under our equipment.
Were these outdoor rinks?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Were these outdoor rinks?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that lol.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Sometimes I am.
I would like to live in Florida for two to three months out of the year. From mid Jan. to mid or late March.

The rest of the time I'm happy to be in New England.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Not South Florida

Quote:
Exactly. What a lot of people don't understand is that you can live somewhere warm and have 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall). The only season you don't have is winter.
It is SUMMER year round. It is rare that there are days even in the 60s, let alone below that. Yes, there are cold fronts when it gets in the 40s and 50s at NIGHT, but as soon as that hot sun comes out for a few hours, it's back into the 70s in JANUARY.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I think there are probably a lot of people out there who just plain don't like wearing clothes at all. I think that is one reason they like these hot climates. If they could be stark naked, they would be very happy. I like wearing flannels, wool sweaters, down, etc. To me it is comfort thing. It is like being wrapped up nice and warm in your own little cocoon.
I'm one of them . Without going into detail, I need clothes and blankets in bed... no matter how warm it is, I need something covering me. It's not for the heat, it's just... I can't explain it. I also like a blanket when I'm just on the couch or lounging.

Quote:
Like you mentioned in your response to my post, it's all dependent on the individual. I for one, like Winter. I like the snow, I like the crisp, cold air, I like the ice on ponds, etc. I'd be upset about not having winter. I fully understand (and most of us who like 4 seasons understand this) that you can live somewhere "warm" and have 3 seasons. It's just that to me, NOT having winter (and all 4 seasons) is overrated.

For the record, while some places may have the 3 seasons thing, Florida doesn't. Not even North Florida. It's warm all year round.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It is SUMMER year round. It is rare that there are days even in the 60s, let alone below that. Yes, there are cold fronts when it gets in the 40s and 50s at NIGHT, but as soon as that hot sun comes out for a few hours, it's back into the 70s in JANUARY.
I think it depends on the part of FL....I know that the pan-handle (Tallahassee, etc.) can get a bit chillier in the winter. Like lows 50s. It was when I went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.