Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I've never done Super 8 but Motel 6 is, usually, (fairly) cheap, but "cheap" is relative-- for instance, the Motel 6 near downtown Chicago is over $100 per night. Again, the internets are your friend. Priceline and Hotwire are ingrained as part of the culture and there are ways to play the system to maximum advantage. There are discussion boards for these things that go into detail on how to play. I strongly recommend carrying a laptop or something with internet access so that you can research and plan on the fly (but of course, guard it very carefully- your laptop is a quick $50 for a druggie). One of the great advantages of the cheaper chains is that they often have free internet.

As to B&Bs-- in my experience, there's absolutely nothing like the traditional inexpensive English B&B, a couple of rooms in someone's too-big house (I know whereof I speak there-- I've lived in London, greater Manchester, and outside Blackpool, and traveled extensively in the UK). Rather, the prototypical US B&B is priced comparably to major hotels and sells the "experience" of the thing-- being part of the family, getting personal service, a home-cooked breakfast, etc. I'm sure there are exceptions but they're probably hard to suss out. If you're looking for rock-bottom lodging, start with the Let's Go! and other similar guides aimed at the young and budget-conscious. Maybe there's a network of people who'll put up strangers. I know Mensa used to have such a thing, but they tossed me out for being too smart

And I have never seen a pub or bar in the US that rented rooms, unless it was by the hour and for a nefarious purpose. Again, just my experience and observation.

Good post, I agree with most of it, especially bringing a laptop (or at least going to internet cafes) to research as you go. An excellent site is trip advisor dot com (not sure if they let uas post web addresses here!) Some of the major cities actually have hostels, which you are probably familiar with. Many times you can find a good bargain that is much more homey with good local flavor and centrally located than Motel 6s and Super 8s are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well you don't think he's just going to stay on the train for his whole trip, do you? That's be like doing the whole trip via car but never once getting off the Interstate!
People often base their opinions on First Impressions. I know many people who have done so through Amtrak

You can't seriously think i meant what you are putting into my mouth

Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Default Amtrak is a decent way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade1 View Post
I am from England and in May this year me and a friend are looking a travelling across with Amtrak.

I am looking for some useful information about Amtrak and cities to go to or avoid.

Neither of us can drive so we thought Amtrak was the best option as we've heard really bad reviews about Greyhound. Do you think we'll be able to see most of the country without a car?

Are most of the Amtrak stations in the centre of cities? Are any in bad areas and best not to travel too and from at night?

What are the best places for nightlife and safest places to go out at night?

Thanks for any information you may have.
...to see the country (I've done a cross-country trip 4 times, but the last time was 15 years ago), but try to plan a few stops along the way. To take the train from coast-to -coast, without any stops, would take 3 full days, and it would get monotonous. The scenery is much better in the western states ( the train schedule would allow passengers to see the Rockies during daylight hours, while passing through the more "dull" sections during the night), and the western trains (which you pick up in Chicago) often had double-decker cars which would allow you to sit "on top" of the scenery.

Recommended cities to see--NYC, Chicago, San Franciso or Los Angeles (depending upon which western train you get on); other possibilities include Washington, DC, St.Louis, Denver and San Diego. A southern city such as Atlanta or Houston is possible, but your travel time would be a bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.