Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 AM

413 posts, read 2,561,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is an interesting perspective.

Canada is pretty liberal, and that is "not a comfort" to me, generally speaking.

Ex: Why does liberal mean not permitting the sale of fireworks to the public except around certain holidays? Maybe I'm getting the terms confused but the only places I've seen fireworks for sale year-round are in "really redneck" states.

I felt exceptionally comfortable in many parts of the Southern U.S.

But I don't go often because it's so far away, didn't move there because it's a different country, legal immigration is very difficult and I refuse to become an illegal immigrant.

I've also felt comfortable talking with people from Canada's East Coast.
(but it's colder there normally and that scares me)
Hmmm where I have been in CAnada I've always prefered more rural parts that are more laid back -- that would be Northern Ontario in the summer, Nova Scotia, rural Quebec. Agreed it is far too cold there except to visit and explore in the balmier months of July and August. The other months there are much more difficult and it is difficult to make a sufficient income or find jobs in those places.

ColdCanadian you should move down south. You sound like you love it and I agree with you on a lot of the same things. I'm living in the Chicago area right now and can't stand the arriviste restaurants and attitudes, the cold and length of winter/depressing look for half the year, the fast pace and being rushed everywhere by impatient people like at the post office, the iceyness and unfriendliness/difficulty of making friends, and yeah I want a place with a better cost of living and income balance too.

I am looking at law schools in the deep South- Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina. I encourage you to look at these places where you can have the town environment you feel comfortable in, a nice house and some chunk of property, more autonomy, sensible (non-liberal/antipatriotic) politics. Granted not all places are equal so avoid things like Montgomery, the Gulf Coast for the time being, some crime ridden Mississippi towns like Yazoo City and Canton, and the Pee Dee area or Myrtle Beach of South Carolina. The rest I'd have to say is pretty bank

Man I'm looking forward to getting out of the Chicagoland area and feeling like a free man again. My grandparents live down south in the Wilmington, North Carolina area and it has always been wonderful visiting them. They are retired and live near the Intracoastal Waterway, and you have lots of golf courses, some good Southern and seafood style restaurants, gokart tracks and miniature golf, and I think it's just a really fun place in general. Of course I see some Yankee vacationers now and then but I don't envy them at all. I think living down there everyday would be like a vacation until I got used to it. Not sure where I'm getting in yet for law school but boy am I excited.

You can buy fireworks in Indiana and South Carolina I think not sure about the rest. Firework stuff is fun, some of the lighter things but you better be real careful with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 02:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Hmmm where I have been in CAnada I've always prefered more rural parts that are more laid back -- that would be Northern Ontario in the summer, Nova Scotia, rural Quebec. Agreed it is far too cold there except to visit and explore in the balmier months of July and August. The other months there are much more difficult and it is difficult to make a sufficient income or find jobs in those places.

ColdCanadian you should move down south. You sound like you love it and I agree with you on a lot of the same things. I'm living in the Chicago area right now and can't stand the arriviste restaurants and attitudes, the cold and length of winter/depressing look for half the year, the fast pace and being rushed everywhere by impatient people like at the post office, the iceyness and unfriendliness/difficulty of making friends, and yeah I want a place with a better cost of living and income balance too.

I am looking at law schools in the deep South- Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina. I encourage you to look at these places where you can have the town environment you feel comfortable in, a nice house and some chunk of property, more autonomy, sensible (non-liberal/antipatriotic) politics. Granted not all places are equal so avoid things like Montgomery, the Gulf Coast for the time being, some crime ridden Mississippi towns like Yazoo City and Canton, and the Pee Dee area or Myrtle Beach of South Carolina. The rest I'd have to say is pretty bank

Man I'm looking forward to getting out of the Chicagoland area and feeling like a free man again. My grandparents live down south in the Wilmington, North Carolina area and it has always been wonderful visiting them. They are retired and live near the Intracoastal Waterway, and you have lots of golf courses, some good Southern and seafood style restaurants, gokart tracks and miniature golf, and I think it's just a really fun place in general. Of course I see some Yankee vacationers now and then but I don't envy them at all. I think living down there everyday would be like a vacation until I got used to it. Not sure where I'm getting in yet for law school but boy am I excited.

You can buy fireworks in Indiana and South Carolina I think not sure about the rest. Firework stuff is fun, some of the lighter things but you better be real careful with it.
Aw yes , the good ol South, what a wonderful place..........if you are from there ! I lived 24 years in the South , 5 years in Florida , 18 years in NC mtns.
There were great times, and not so great times, just like everywhere else, no place is perfect . If you are a northerner , most likely you will love the weather , in the winter that is , but, as time goes by, you will come to realize that ,no matter how long you live in the South , you are still a northerner ! You will never " fit in", it just won't happen ! You will make some Southern friends, but they will always keep you at arms reach, no closer. You are a Yankee, they have never forgot the " late unpleasantness" , never will. After a while , you will long for the change in seasons, the cold , the snow, and not the dam ice, the power outages,and the big winds ! You will wish for someone to talk to that can relate to the tough times you had living " Up North ", and you will .........start taking more and more trips back to your homeland. One day , you will come to realize, the South , is best left to the South........and you will pack up and ..........go home. darstar

Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 PM

266 posts, read 911,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Aw yes , the good ol South, what a wonderful place..........if you are from there ! I lived 24 years in the South , 5 years in Florida , 18 years in NC mtns.
There were great times, and not so great times, just like everywhere else, no place is perfect . If you are a northerner , most likely you will love the weather , in the winter that is , but, as time goes by, you will come to realize that ,no matter how long you live in the South , you are still a northerner ! You will never " fit in", it just won't happen ! You will make some Southern friends, but they will always keep you at arms reach, no closer. You are a Yankee, they have never forgot the " late unpleasantness" , never will. After a while , you will long for the change in seasons, the cold , the snow, and not the dam ice, the power outages,and the big winds ! You will wish for someone to talk to that can relate to the tough times you had living " Up North ", and you will .........start taking more and more trips back to your homeland. One day , you will come to realize, the South , is best left to the South........and you will pack up and ..........go home. darstar
My parents moved from Pittsburgh to South Carolina when they were in their 40s. They made a lot of friends in SC and love it there. Probably one thing that helped is that so many people in their town are transplants from the North like themselves, but they have made friends with both natives and non-natives. I think their town tends to be a little more upscale and educated as well, compared to many small Southern towns. So I think it really depends on the town. The South is changing, and I think for the better, though I'm sure many people will disagree with me.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Thumbs up North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yep, and I suggest that anyone who wants to see the good life should visit the south, but don't stay here as we'll call y'all Damned Yankees...LOL.

I think it is ludicrous to judge people by the climate else we would all think that Mexicans are lazy, right???????

Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Yep, and I suggest that anyone who wants to see the good life should visit the south, but don't stay here as we'll call y'all Damned Yankees...LOL.

I think it is ludicrous to judge people by the climate else we would all think that Mexicans are lazy, right???????
I agree completely! I think this whole premise is nonsense. "God didn't make no junk".

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Heat makes people lazy. I just wanna sit and do nothing
Maybe in the south but where I live people seem to become more aggressive in the summer,kinda like bugs

Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Thumbs up Hear ! Hear !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree completely! I think this whole premise is nonsense. "God didn't make no junk".
Yup, we all need to be more tolerant, myself included

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think places like Arizona, Nevada, California and Florida are for people who are escaping something. They got in a fight with their family and are escaping their terrible life and situation back in Smalltown MI. You get alot of losers and drifters in these warm weather places.

Of course this is a generalization but I think it is true much of the time.
Nah, the losers, drifters and criminals in the cold places just stay indoors more and therefore, make the news less. You know, the pervs in places where it snows a lot do their depravity on the Internet. The pervs in warm climates do their thing outdoors 365 days per year. Let's get real, are you going to shovel your car out of 3 feet of snow and spend an hour scraping the ice off your window to snatch a kid who probably isn't even outside playing?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Its not all about the South, its all about the differences in cluture. Not bad or good. Ever notice how those from simular backgrounds , and from simular places, tend to graviate ,live , in the same area ?. Its all about culture,comfort, and a way of life that was formed at an early age. Not everyone can fit in, or wants to, thats the first problem to overcome. You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.........

Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
I think it depends on what you call north and cold.
The funniest thing I have encountered was when I lived in Chicago.
My folks came out from West Virginia and I took them out to Huntley, IL to tour Sun City.
It was Christmas and booger freezin cold. There were many transplants in Del Webb from Minnesota. My mother made comment about all the Minnesota tags.
The lady responded, Well dear, many folks from up north come down here for the warmer climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.