Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NYC and Indiana and both certainly had good things about them ( Indiana has Indiana U Basketball). I still love visiting NYC great city.

Fort he last 16 years I've lived in Rockport, Texas in Aransas County Texas ( pop. 26,000). It's a peninsula on the Gulf Coast-more beach and water front than people. It's quite a friendly place, many retirees, and it only freezes an average of a couple of hours every other year or so (usually around 4:30 AM). There is a bit of snow every 3 years or so. There is no State Income Tax, NO traffic-- well I consider it traffic when a car comes by and yells out the window "Twiz Please move over ( dog likes to nap on the pavement). Violent crime is rare but usually intrafamily. There are no unsafe streets. Rockport is environmentally liberal but otherwise conservative.

I don't like crime, really cold weather, high taxes and traffic - all items people like to ***** about- so why do you stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
There's nothing about cold weather that dictates there must be crime, high taxes, traffic etc. There are plenty of rural places that have low taxes, no traffic, and little to no crime that also get cold. The reverse is also perfectly true.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
I pay no state income tax, hardly have to deal with traffic and live in a beautiful area that has tons of outdoor activities available. The population is pretty low (around 100K metro) but there is always something to do. There are restaurants and stores I enjoy. Crime isn't a huge concern here. Sure, it can get very cold here and the weather can be crazy, but it was 70 the day in February I moved here, so you never know. Spring isn't too bad and summer and fall are beautiful. The humidity is pretty low so I can go outside and do things all summer. I have no desire to live in the south. I hate extreme heat and don't want to deal with it.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times
Maintain - you are absolutely correct. I was thinking about the big metros which at least in the NE comprise the vast majority of the population. There are many small towns that have low crime and low traffic. I think only New Hampshire has no income tax however the property tax is higher.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Maintain - you are absolutely correct. I was thinking about the big metros which at least in the NE comprise the vast majority of the population. There are many small towns that have low crime and low traffic. I think only New Hampshire has no income tax however the property tax is higher.
Sure, but there are plenty of places that are in warm/warmer climates that have high crime, taxes, traffic etc. (LA, Houston, Memphis, Atlanta...) Maybe the better questions is "why do people stay in large metro areas?" I just don't think climate plays much of a role here.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 AM

934 posts, read 1,442,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Sometimes a low cost of living is a little bit deceiving as when you look at the whole picture, the wages are generally lower. When retiring, there is less need to worry about the quality of wage against cost of living. But when your 25-30, and trying to start a family, you have to be weary of states/cities who have given incentives for corporation/business that are at the expense of the worker. A lot of states have gotten caught up in the race to the bottom through lower environmental standards or taxes for corporations which has largely been a screw over for the American worker.

For me, I love the distinct four seasons of the north. I love a good snowfall! But I wouldn't want it all year.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
Maybe some of us --as odd as it may sounds -- just like cold weather.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Why do people stay in cold US climates?

Cuz you'll never enjoy anything like this in Rockport, Texas:

(my pic0

Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,925 times
Couple reasons-
1-The cold doesn't matter that much, and they like where they are,
2-They like the cold,
3-Their job is there, or their family is there.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
My job is here, my family is here, my friends are here, my life is here, and frankly I like the change in seasons and don't mind the snow. Plus, Ohio is sports crazy and I love that lol.

I find it hilarious how people think that nobody enjoys living in a state where it snows and such and that the residents are crazy for not wanting to totally uproot their lives for warmer weather. It's amazing how cold weather states are looked down upon now because oh my God it snows there and life must be MISERABLE in those places. Nope, life is great in my parts, even if white stuff is falling from the sky. OP, I'm not saying you feel like this, but many people do. Personally, I'd be in hell if I was forced to live in a place like Arizona. No offense to the state or people, but I'd take a blizzard right now over spending a summer in that state any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.