Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I think it depends on what you call north and cold.
The funniest thing I have encountered was when I lived in Chicago.
My folks came out from West Virginia and I took them out to Huntley, IL to tour Sun City.
It was Christmas and booger freezin cold. There were many transplants in Del Webb from Minnesota. My mother made comment about all the Minnesota tags.
The lady responded, Well dear, many folks from up north come down here for the warmer climate
Its all about degrees..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
I don't think cold climates make better people, but I know that when it's cold outside I always have this burst of energy and enthusiasm. For that, many Texans can't stand me.

But when it's warm or hot out and everybody else is all chipper and relaxed, I'm usually very irritable, drained, and somewhat nauseous. Unless I'm at a barbecue, a pool, or out at night.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,447 times
Quote:
Of course this is a generalization but I think it is true much of the time.
No, it isn't. I was looking for sexual predators in my area and a few others in places I perceived to be "nicer", and you know what I found? Larger cities in New Hampshire have more pedophiles per capita than where I live right now. How would you like it if I deduced from this that cities in cold climates are for pedophiles?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
I beg to differ. Questioning is sensible. Jingoism is ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
sensible (non-liberal/antipatriotic) politics.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
It's because this way the homeless fugitives are able to sleep outside at night. It's that simple.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM

All one needs to see is some of the islands in the Caribbean, where temps change little year round. Buildings do not need to be as strong and as weather protected. Its also in light of hurricanes and the cost to rebuild. There is no doubt cold climates produce infrastructures, people, and industrious, smart thinking , do it your self business.and life style.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:09 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,128 times
I've heard that in Hawaii they have problems with people not wanting to do work because of the nice weather all the time. I can also say that in Minnesota, the cold weather acts as a sort of neutralizer, leading to less crime because nobody wants to be out on the street. I've often considered that maybe the reason that most of the best colleges and universities in this country are in the North is because of the climate. I think cool weather serves to calm people down, and perhaps it also attracts people who like calmer activities.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I've heard that in Hawaii they have problems with people not wanting to do work because of the nice weather all the time. I can also say that in Minnesota, the cold weather acts as a sort of neutralizer, leading to less crime because nobody wants to be out on the street. I've often considered that maybe the reason that most of the best colleges and universities in this country are in the North is because of the climate. I think cool weather serves to calm people down, and perhaps it also attracts people who like calmer activities.
Did you see the movie Fargo ?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
One thing that's usually true no matter what the subject is tribal self-description almost always ends in self-flattery.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
Cities with cold climates are generally safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.