Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like where you live?
absolutely - it's the closest thing to heaven on Earth. 33 37.08%
can't stand it - don't see why anyone would choose to move here. 19 21.35%
I'm ambivalent - it's okay, but I could be convinced to move. 37 41.57%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I agree. People CAN truly move if they WANT to. It takes effort and planning. It also takes time, but realistically, even if you own a house and have a family, you can make plans and preparations to move within two years or less.

Not in my parents' situation. They own 2 places in south Florida, where people are trying to sell their houses like crazy and are having lots of trouble. They have a condo in a prime area and they're having trouble renting it as it is. My dad is 60 years old working in IT, so it would be incredibly hard for him to move back to NY to get another job. He would need to find a job in NY, and sell 2 places in Florida. Slim chance that would happen in 2 years. Him and my mom have to wait until retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
It's OK, but I could be convinced to move. Very few places we would consider in either the Midwest or Northeast/New England. Daughter headed to upstate NY for school. We have our eyes open.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I like the outdoors activities, the low cost of living BUT the political climate as an african american lesbian...get me the heck out of here!

I can't wait to leave.
I've thought about staying and fighting the good fight but it is getting to me.
Once I get my degree, get some job experience and can find a good job in a much more accepting state and city....I will be packing up.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
I hate it.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
I love North Scottsdale. The weather is perfect (even during the summer), there are many shopping opportunities, many 5-star restaurants/hotels/resorts, hiking, we're on the doorstep on the 5th most populous city in the United States, and I live within 5.5 hours of Las Vegas, LA, San Diego, several nice beaches in Mexico, and skiing/snowboard.

As much as I do not agree with many of the politics of Arizona, I enjoy the libertarian atmosphere that allows residents much more freedom and less burdens than many other states around the country. Arizona is VERY pro-business, which gives every Tom, Dick, and Harry the potential to start a successful business.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I like the outdoors activities, the low cost of living BUT the political climate as an african american lesbian...get me the heck out of here!

I can't wait to leave.
I've thought about staying and fighting the good fight but it is getting to me.
Once I get my degree, get some job experience and can find a good job in a much more accepting state and city....I will be packing up.

If it means paying more and being in a more socially acceptable area, it's worth it. You must feel pretty bad being in an area where they're against that sort of thing. Best of luck to you

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If it means paying more and being in a more socially acceptable area, it's worth it. You must feel pretty bad being in an area where they're against that sort of thing. Best of luck to you
I will gladly pay more to support an area that doesn't make me feel hated. The feeling of feeling accepted, feeling safe enough to hold my girlfriend's hand in MANY places [not just some places] and having rights....priceless!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
I could be convinced to move again. I could also just stay here, and enjoy when I travel out of town.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
I absolutely love where I live. Really haven't decided where I want to retire, but it's not around the corner or anything........

I'm like AZLiam - I love to travel, and do so as often as possible. One of the nice things about Atlanta if you love to travel is all of the flight options - almost all of them nonstop.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM

306 posts, read 475,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
It seems that a lot of us love to complain about where we live and wish we lived somewhere else - hence the reason we come here. So here's the poll: Do you like where you currently live?
Minneapolis? I love it. I guess I'm only 16, and the cold does get old. But It gets up to the hundreds in the summer so it kind of works out. And Mini usually ranks high Major U.S. City studies(In a good way). Chicago, NYC, Seattle and Portland could be cities I could live in and learn to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.