Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to move far away from the south Georgia area soon. I've lived in the south all my life, he spent most of his life up north. We're looking for a place that has seasons. We don't want endless summer anymore, and I don't think I could handle too much cold, but snow is ok.

We're also thinking about starting a family, and we need a town with decent schools and activities for families. Preferably with an excellent hospital and doctors within an hours drive, or less. Also, we would like that there be some form of a Jewish community, it's not necessary, but once we have a family it will be very important.

We aren't interested in huge cities. We like more of a small town atmosphere, probably not more than a population of 50,000-100,000. I'd like to find a place that has a decent downtown area. I love small businesses, especially restaurants.

Also, economically speaking, I want to stay away from places with high real estate. My fiance is a retail manager on a salary and I'm not employed. So something with a lower cost of living and decent houses $200,000 or below would be nice.

I'm just wanting to get suggestions, since I don't really have anything to go on, except we want to leave Georgia. I have been going state to state looking at cities for the past few days, but it's taking forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Pittsburgh would be a good fit for you except it has 310,000 population. Each neighborhood is different and downtown is only 10 blocks long so it has a smaller town feel. The main Jewish neighborhood is Squirrel Hill. Excellent hospital system. Housing is cheap but not so much so in Squirrel Hill, probably doable at $200,000. Our school taxes are high. I don't know what south GA is like. I enjoyed living in Atlanta.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM

93,382 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I would say Syracuse, which is not much over 100,000 with 139,000 people now. Our Jewish community is concentrated on the East Side of the city and into the Eastern suburbs of DeWitt and the Fayetteville-Manlius area.

We have 4 seasons, but I will state that the snow during the winter can be tough. Fortunately, it is handled efficiently though.

As for prices of homes, you can get a very nice home for 200,000, easily. Here is a good website to check out:CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings. Just make sure you look in Onondaga County, which is where Syracuse is located.

Here is some information you would like to look over:Home ::: St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center of Syracuse, NY
Crouse Hospital - Syracuse, New York, USA
Community General Hospital
Foundation Home:Upstate Medical University Foundation

City of Syracuse
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Onondaga County, New York
Onondaga County Public Library - Serving the Greater Syracuse, NY Area

Syracuse University
Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit
Onondaga Community College

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Downtown Syracuse
downtown syracuse - Google Image Search

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Onondaga (broken link)
Syracuse Hebrew - Home
Syracuse Jewish Federation
Jewish Musical & Cultural Festival
JCC of Syracuse
Temple Adath Yeshurun - Welcome
New Beth Israel, Messianic Jewish Synagogue, Syracuse, New York
Temple Concord, Syracuse, NY - Home
Chabad House-Lubavitch - Your home for everything Jewish
Congregation Beth Sholom-Chevra Shas
synagogues in syracuse - Google Maps

Central New York Jobs
Additional Career Resources for the Central Upstate Region

and much more....If you have any questions, just let me know.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,113 times
Thank you very much! I'll check them out and discuss it with him when he gets home, maybe they'll be added to the list.

Thanks for all the links and references as well. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.