Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I personally get my self esteem from within, I do not dress to impress anyone, I am not going to strave myself and eat like rabbit to be approved of, life is way too short for that! I do eat healthy, most days and I also spurlge now and then, again, life is way too short. I do care a bit how I look, will not allow myself too get too fat and too dumpy, I do dress nice in a causal sorta of and steer clear of designer anything, not who I am...would not want to protray a shallow empy soul of a person. I also love to read and I have my priorities in place, I am so thankful I can breathe in my own skin!
Well said. If one doesn't have good self-esteem, he or she isn't going to really have it just because of fancy this and fancy that. It's only a quick fix. Shallow people are a bore to be around no matter how they look or what they drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
Dallas by far. Dallas has more upscale shopping and restaurants per capita than any other city. Women are beautiful...not uncommon to see them walking around with bandages from their facelifts.

Luxury homes and autos are also in very high demand here. And, you see very few fat people.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Hafta vote for Dallas, TX as well.

Personally?

I like being a dork...a smart, physically fit dork. So I guess I'm concerned about my image...but not in the "normal" kinda way.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM

92 posts, read 290,286 times
I vote for Washington, DC as being most image conscious. Maybe not so much in the appearance sense, but when the first question out of everyone's mouth when they meet you is "so, what do you do?", you are immediately judged on a superficial level. In other words, it's "how will knowing you benefit me?". Everybody's trying so hard to BE somebody and impress everyone else; it's exhausting.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:27 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I would definately have to say naples florida,alot of money living there so they can afford to be I guess.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Madison, Alabama... land of the SUV's.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 PM

60 posts, read 64,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I personally get my self esteem from within, I do not dress to impress anyone, I am not going to strave myself and eat like rabbit to be approved of, life is way too short for that! I do eat healthy, most days and I also spurlge now and then, again, life is way too short. I do care a bit how I look, will not allow myself too get too fat and too dumpy, I do dress nice in a causal sorta of and steer clear of designer anything, not who I am...would not want to protray a shallow empy soul of a person. I also love to read and I have my priorities in place, I am so thankful I can breathe in my own skin!

Ahhhhh...spoken like a true Pittsburgher.

In Pittsburgh, getting dressed up means wearing the clean Steelers jersey -- the one without the beer stains and hot wing sauce spilled down the front.

Yes, I'm just kidding -- some of us around here actually clean up real nice and got rid of most of our clothes from the 80s. However, I don't know anyone other than some of real rich people who are follow fashion trends -- and even they don't go overboard.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
1. Orange County, California
2. The rest of the LA area
3. Phoenix
4. Dallas
5. Las Vegas
6. Miami
7. New York
8. San Diego
9. Atlanta
10. DC
If you add on North Side and North Shore of Chicago, I think this is a pretty comprehensive list.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
I've never seen any image conscious cities. I always hear that the people of Atlanta try to live up to their new found popularity (thanks to the media).

The least image conscious in my opinion would of course be all of those little small towns with nothing to prove, and surprisingly enough, New York. The young people of Manhattan live in these roach-motel sardine cans for five skillion a month, and could care less. They're just looking to get out into life. Yet, you have those people who crack the pavement of SoHo everyday, but you'll find people like that in every major city.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What, in your opinion, are the most image conscious cities in the US? Is there a place where you feel everyone is trying to make themselves a "cut above the rest"? Whether it be by wearing numerous designer labels, driving a luxury car, living in the trendy area, etc.

Also are you image conscious? Do you feel there is anything wrong with it?
West Windsor, New Jersey. You've never met or seen a group of more deranged, high-class wanna-bes in your life. No, not even on tv.

I don't care about image unless it's something contextual. Obviously I can't (though I'd like to) show up at a formal dinner in jeans. :-( Woe is me! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.