Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:20 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Hmmmm ... what about Crescent City and Brookings?
Nope, hardly any palm trees. Crescent City feels more "stereotypically" logger and redneck Oregon than any Oregon town I've been to, except perhaps Coos Bay or Klamath Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Yeah definitely FAR northern California is Pacific Northwest. It has to be, if it isn't than what would it be?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM

201 posts, read 469,948 times
I have lived in north Idaho for 3 years. I have driven to Portland 3 times and Seattle 6 times since moving here, Concerts, visiting people, sports, And my circle of friends are much the same. I have been to Boise zero times with no plans to do so. Heck we are even in a different time zone then Boise. I would say The panhandle of Idaho is the PNW.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
I have lived in north Idaho for 3 years. I have driven to Portland 3 times and Seattle 6 times since moving here, Concerts, visiting people, sports, And my circle of friends are much the same. I have been to Boise zero times with no plans to do so. Heck we are even in a different time zone then Boise. I would say The panhandle of Idaho is the PNW.

Yes. Southern Idaho is part of the Mountain West. You could class it more with western South Dakota than with western Oregon.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
My question: how can anything East of the Cascades be considered PNW?
Geographically it has different weather, flora and fauna...and politically it's very different.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM

343 posts, read 1,384,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
My question: how can anything East of the Cascades be considered PNW?
Geographically it has different weather, flora and fauna...and politically it's very different.

Similar history is the best explanation. It may not be part of the Pacific, but its part of the Northwest.

Besides that geologically speaking it is not totally different. Yes the columbia basin is high plateau, but the animals and many of the geologic features are the same including the blue mountains, the rockies of the Idaho pan handel and the Okanagon highlands. Its still part of the PNW, its just different then the west side of the Cascades.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Yes. Southern Idaho is part of the Mountain West. You could class it more with western South Dakota than with western Oregon.

Southern Idaho is very Rocky Mountain in appearance and also is very similar to Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington. Eastern Oregon has some very beautiful mountain and forested areas and all of Central Idaho is one huge swath of alpine mountain peaks and forests and rivers---probably the most beautiful mountain scenery in North America.

South Dakota??? The lowest hill in Southern Idaho is taller than the highest "mountain" in South Dakota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Similar history is the best explanation. It may not be part of the Pacific, but its part of the Northwest.

Besides that geologically speaking it is not totally different. Yes the columbia basin is high plateau, but the animals and many of the geologic features are the same including the blue mountains, the rockies of the Idaho pan handel and the Okanagon highlands. Its still part of the PNW, its just different then the west side of the Cascades.

good explanation.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Boise is about a hour away from the Pacific Time Zone so we have really long days especially in the Summer when the sun finally goes dark after 10pm.
A lot of newcomers in Boise are from the Portland and Seattle areas and the reason they like Boise so much is that the city has mix of Northwest vibe and Rocky Mountain vibe without all of the miserable rain and cloudy days.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,471 times
Don't know how accurate this is, but it seems pretty consistant and well defined.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,383 times
That map is actually pretty messed up-although NoCal can be PNW, but definitely not SF or SJ. Wyoming is not PNW. If OK is Midwest then northern Texas is too. And I, a NYer, can say that we r NOt part of New England. PA, NJ, ourselves, and usually DE consider ourselves part of our own region. Pittsburgh and Buffalo would be Midwestern b4 there New England . And I doubt north AK is PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.