Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 AM

116 posts, read 157,573 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys a lot!! It has really helped, I've now kind of narrowed it down to the North East,

Boston - Lovely city, have family there, but it seems a bit dull on the partying side (esp if it closes at 1)

NYC - Seems epic, never seen myself there, thought it would be too expensive, and too difficult to get around, but the nightlife, food, and general entertainment, and I like the way someone pointed out, it is very near beaches, other major cities etc.

Philly - I haven't really given it much thought, I keep hearing it is less expensive than most of the big cities, and has very nice areas and very bad areas. I know nothing of the social scene and things to do.

Syracuse - This place seems to good to be true, its soooo inexpensive! I could possible study there, and upon graduation see where it takes me.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted here it has HELPED A LOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Thanks guys a lot!! It has really helped, I've now kind of narrowed it down to the North East,

Boston - Lovely city, have family there, but it seems a bit dull on the partying side (esp if it closes at 1)
Boston doesn't close at one... whoever said that was at the wrong place. Last call is at 2am at most places in Boston. Furthermore, many places in Boston are "After Hours" clubs and stay open until the break of dawn. They are able to do this by labeling themselves as a "members club" (though you don't need to get a "membership) thus technically not being open to the public (though they really are open to the public). In essence, they use a legal loophole to allow for themselves to legally serve patrons after the citywide last call hours of 2am. You'll quickly learn that you can call them either days in advance or an hour in advance and get on "the list" (at no additional cost at many of them) and get right in to party away the rest of the night and early morning. There are plenty of these clubs around. Furthermore, there are plenty of bars and clubs (you'll learn which ones shortly) that disregard last call by locking the doors at 2am and allowing the patrons that are inside to stay as long as they wish. Boston parties very hard and isn't even remotely dull (Though I can't pretend it's a Las Vegas, LA, Miami or New York). If you lived in Boston you'd quickly figure out the best venues to stay out all night if you wish.

If price is an issue (and Boston's one of the most expensive cities in the nation), you should consider Providence, Rhode Island ( Providence, Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). It's a city of about 200,000 that's located just South of Boston. It's a LOT more affordable than Boston but still very close by. It's a city that's diverse, walkable and VERY fun (excellent dining and nightlife). If you wanted to work and go to school in Boston, Providence is a good choice. It has frequent trains (Amtrak and local Boston Commuter Rail) to Boston which get you there quickly and allow you to live without a car. The city itself is safe (though like any city, there are neighborhoods to avoid) and very pedestrian/ bike friendly. It also has a great bus system in RIPTA.

Providence also has excellent colleges worth looking into for degree programs. Brown University (Brown University ) is one of the best schools in the country. You also have Providence College ( Providence College - Home ), University of Rhode Island's Providence Campus ( University of Rhode Island - Feinstein Providence Campus ), Johnson and Wales ( Johnson & Wales University ) and many others nearby.

If you want to live near Boston but can't afford to live IN the city and don't want to have a car, Providence is the best way to go. It's a quick train ride to Boston and only 2.5 hours via the High Speed Acela Express train to New York City. It's far more affordable to rent (and buy if you're looking to do that) in Providence and you still have easy access to Boston as well as the bonus of being in a vibrant city with excellent nightlife, colleges, arts, dining, shopping, and other urban amenities. If price is the only thing keeping you from settling on Boston, then look hard at Providence. I think you'll like what you see.

Other than Boston and Providence (I honestly think you'll like Boston best as it's really the only American city with that European build and feel), New York would be an excellent choice. It's really second to none in terms of size and what it offers. It's super expensive, but if you can find a way to afford it, you may want to look into it. Philadelphia, Providence and Boston are all close enough to get to NYC easily if you can't work it out financially.

-Philadelphia is very nice. For some reason there are some very harsh critics of Philly, but it's a beautiful, fun city. It's big and has its share of problems, but It's as vibrant and urban as you'll find anywhere in the U.S.

-Washington D.C. is nice too. The mass transit in DC is fantastic and the city is fun at night (2am last call like Boston). There are a ton of colleges in this area and some excellent cultural attractions (the museums here are second to none).

-San Francisco is very expensive, but like New York, it's worth it if you can afford it. Good transit, very walkable and super exciting in terms of nightlife.

After reading your posts, I'd say Boston may be the best fit, but visit as many of these cities as you can before making a decision (if possible). Boston is one of the most unique cities in the U.S. No other is quite like it. It's unplanned street grid, beautiful federalist architecture, density, etc. If that's what you fell in love with on your visit to the U.S., no other city, not even New York will have it.

good luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
You are finding some of the problems and difficulties that many of us that are native to America are finding. An affordable city with the ammenities we want and efficient public transport. As big as this country is the choices are really very slim. When one adds a decent climate and especially the transit it really becomes very limited.

I would say that Boston would be the better choice for you, but as everyone has said it is far from affordable. Actually to say Boston is expensive is an understatement.

I also think you will need to broaden your selection of cities if affordability and public transport are major considerations for you. You may want to look at Denver, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. However all of these cities have very cold winters, Denver being the least severe. I hope you find your place.

If you do decide on Boston perhaps you could connect with the Irish community there. I know some of my relatives from Ireland that decided to try the states, stayed with relatives or friends in an around Boston until they got established in this country. Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
NYC and SF seem to fit your criteria best, but it isn't really that affordable. You can make it work with roommates though. Next city I would suggest is Boston. That seems your best bet. Syracuse seems ok, but it really lacks public transportation. It also isn't the "big" city you're looking for.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Philadelphia is great! Definitely check it out. It's cheaper than NYC, certainly. I still think Boston is your best bet due to the family connection (makes things easier) but living in one the Center City neighborhoods would be great. There are many schools there, too, and there's enough of a nightlife scene to keep you happy. Philly also has that historic charm factor like you find in Boston. It's a big city in its own right, but also within easy day trip distance of NYC.

I haven't lived in Boston, but given the large number of students and younger people (in addition to plenty of older people who enjoy going out, too) I doubt you'd have to worry about being bored on that front. Certainly I've never had a dull moment when visiting.

If you're thinking of more school you may also want to apply to schools in several of your top city choices; it's possible that one school will offer you a better financial aid deal, or perhaps will offer "affordable" student housing, or will otherwise turn out to be a good option due to practical logistics.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM

116 posts, read 157,573 times
Thanks again for the responses.

NYC definately seems a great city, I like the idea of being able to wake up at 4am and randomly head out and get a pint and pizza! but it is SOOOO expensive isn't it? you would'nt be able to get an apartment for 1000 dollars I don't think.

Boston, though smaller still seems a nice city, though the price isn't that much cheaper than NYC, I do have family there, which is good and bad, good in the sense if I get lonely I'll have someone to talk to, bad in the sense... oh god I have to visit them again... lol

Philly, I think it looks great, the arhcitecture from what I've seen on wiki does look impressive, and it is a big city.

But I think NYC is one the places I'd most like to go, purely because no matter who you are you can fit in! again, I really, really like the idea of being able to do the shopping at 4am and the fact the subway are 24/7 is great, and also on a smaller note, flights back to Dublin are a good €100 cheaper than Logan, Boston, which in the short term is a small price to pay, but it all adds up.

The only concern I have about NYC is the expense, I could see my self living there, but I'm really concerned its a place where I would have to live in a really small place/apartment. Having said that, I spend a lot of time in Dublin, Ireland and it too is expesnive... like pints are €5, train fares are €8 return, and just general cost of food and property are high!

Well thanks for your replies, I really like NYC, I would love to work there, but I don't know how big the IT indusry is there, maybe its bigger in Philly or Boston.

Cheers,

Tim

Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 PM

66 posts, read 305,998 times
eh, NYC isn't that expensive. It's more expensive than much of the rest of the country sure, but people love to hyperbolize. Fact is 8 million people live in NY, and we sure as heck ain't all millionaires. Just remember that NYC is much, much bigger than just Manhattan, Salaries tend to be greater here than in the rest of the country to keep up with cost-of-living, public transportation is relatively cheap (despite upcoming rising costs), and the city is big enough to accomodate every sort of lifestyle. It can actually be a pretty cheap experience, if you know how to make it so.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxl35 View Post
eh, NYC isn't that expensive. It's more expensive than much of the rest of the country sure, but people love to hyperbolize. Fact is 8 million people live in NY, and we sure as heck ain't all millionaires. Just remember that NYC is much, much bigger than just Manhattan, Salaries tend to be greater here than in the rest of the country to keep up with cost-of-living, public transportation is relatively cheap (despite upcoming rising costs), and the city is big enough to accomodate every sort of lifestyle. It can actually be a pretty cheap experience, if you know how to make it so.
I get what you're saying, but I think that NYC is that expensive, even after factoring in higher salaries (which isn't true in my field, unfortunately). If the OP can get a job that pays enough then by all means go for it. Otherwise be prepared to make a lot of compromises to cover cost of living. For many people those compromises (living in small place, having roommates, etc.) are more than worth it. After all, you get a lot in return for that higher price tag. I certainly wouldn't write it off the list yet, especially since the difference in price between Boston and NYC isn't as great as it would be if you were comparing NYC with Minneapolis or Pittsburgh. (and yes, do remember that NYC is not just Manhattan.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.