Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:29 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Here's a good site to check such information out: the state of public school integration

It also shows if a district had a court case involving integration/segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's a good site to check such information out: the state of public school integration

It also shows if a district had a court case involving integration/segregation.
I know the middle school I attended was an all black school, but now it's intergrated.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:11 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
AHH McKinely Elementary lol.. yea the demographics never changed dramatically.. mostly Hispanic by like 60%, black was 40%, and white was 1%.

just an estimate
If anything the black population rose and the white population dropped and the hispanic population stayed the same.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
My little town's school is still like 99% white. It's not segregated, but there just aren't many blacks that live here.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times
30 years ago, a typical St. Louis public school (except fot the north side) was at least 90% white. Today, the St. Louis Public Schools are dominated by minorities. Basically, the blacks moved in, the whites moved to the suburbs or went to the private schools, then the Hispanics and Bosnians arrived which basically cleared all whites out of the SLPS... Times have changed.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
30 years ago, a typical St. Louis public school (except fot the north side) was at least 90% white. Today, the St. Louis Public Schools are dominated by minorities. Basically, the blacks moved in, the whites moved to the suburbs or went to the private schools, then the Hispanics and Bosnians arrived which basically cleared all whites out of the SLPS... Times have changed.
So, basically the only Whites in St. Louis public schools are the Bosnian immigrants and maybe a few that just stayed?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So, basically the only Whites in St. Louis public schools are the Bosnian immigrants and maybe a few that just stayed?
Basically, (and a prominent hispanic population in schools) except there are some whites at the few magnet schools. The public schools here are a mess.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Basically, (and a prominent hispanic population in schools) except there are some whites at the few magnet schools. The public schools here are a mess.
Here are the only predominately White schools I found in the St. Louis City SD: Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Long Middle Community ED. CTR.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Buder ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Mason ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Oak Hill ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Woerner ELEM.

According to this site, there were some schools that were close to 50% White and there were quite a few that ranged from 5-45% too. I'm thinking most of those are on the Southside and some had their share of Hispanic and even Asian students.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Here are the only predominately White schools I found in the St. Louis City SD: Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Long Middle Community ED. CTR.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Buder ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Mason ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Oak Hill ELEM.

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Woerner ELEM.

According to this site, there were some schools that were close to 50% White and there were quite a few that ranged from 5-45% too. I'm thinking most of those are on the Southside and some had their share of Hispanic and even Asian students.
The schools that have prominent white population's are either in a very white neighborhood, gifted, or are a magnet school. (Magnet schools have to maintain around 50-50 diversity. The school that I go to is the most diverse city public school in the SLPS. My school is a gifted, magnet school though, so it's a rare exception to the rest of the SLPS.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
I never payed any attention, I was little and just wanted to have fun on the playgrounds. I did not care about the color of someones skin, I only cared about not getting tagged and being it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.