Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following towns would you choose to live in if these were your only options.
Haddonfield, NJ 10 4.61%
Avalon, NJ 14 6.45%
Jupiter, FL 30 13.82%
Bluff, UT 4 1.84%
Scottsdale, AZ 63 29.03%
Flagstaff, AZ 32 14.75%
Terlingua, TX 9 4.15%
Cortez, CO 15 6.91%
Vicksburg, MS 12 5.53%
Anchorage, AK 28 12.90%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM

70 posts, read 242,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sports? Please dont include Arizonas' p-i-s-s poor excuse for sports teams to the rest of the wonders in that state. LOL The Cardinals? Football shouldnt be played south of the Mason-Dixon IMO. Putting football teams in the tropics and deserts is just wrong, same goes for the Coyotes. The Canadians are still pissed for moving them from Winnipeg to the desert. And the D-backs? They have the worlds worst stadium (looks like a warehouse/airplane hanger). If you have to close the roof to play baseball, thats a clue that baseball doesnt belong in the area.
Well, it wasn't really my focal point of the post. I was simply trying to make the point that there is plenty to see and do in this great state. And hey, the Suns are a great team, so all sports teams here aren't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Which one of the New Jersey towns is closest to New York City? That's where I would want to be.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 AM

127 posts, read 925,002 times
I pride myself on knowing plenty of obscure places around the country...but this one had me scratching my head. Why were these places involved? If I had money i'd choose Scottsdale, hands down. Arizona is one of the more underrated states in the country IMO, and there is endless things to do in the S'dale region. The houses are beautiful, but I can't afford them right now...
With that said I choose Anchorage. I hear you, 'but mr. lions the houses are just as expensive up north, what the hell?' Well, Alaska is the last frontier and i'd love to go there. Now i'd only live there for the next 6 months so I don't have to freeze, then i'd rent in S'dale again.
Well, it made sense in my head...

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuneDog View Post
Yes, typo. Meant Cortez and I don't know how to edit it. Help anyone?

As for how I came about this list, never you mind.
Well, I see you figured out how to fix the typo.

"Never you mind"? What, do you work for the FBI, or Home Security? Watch out, folks! I think he's gathering intelligence. (Cue soundtrack from "The X-Files").

Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Can't decide between Flagstaff and Anchorage. Both have really cool names. And if I lived in one, I'd be pining away for the other.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Which one of the New Jersey towns is closest to New York City? That's where I would want to be.
That is my answer! I chose Avalon, NJ, to be close to my dear NYC.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
That is my answer! I chose Avalon, NJ, to be close to my dear NYC.
Yes, but Haddonfield is actually closer. Plus, Philly is only 5 miles away too.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuneDog View Post
Yeah, you're right. They aren't missing much. All Arizona has is the Grand Canyon, other amazing State and National Parks, Monument Valley, Sedona Red Rocks, great history, four professional sports teams including baseball spring training, and great shopping if you are into that kinda stuff. I'm sure Arizona might have one or two other things, but they probably aren't anything good, ya know?

Grand Can is cool, the parks are nice but once youve seen them, thats it (for me). The sports teams suck, the malls are everywhere and I lived there for 2 years and hated every single second of it.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Grand Can is cool, the parks are nice but once youve seen them, thats it (for me). The sports teams suck, the malls are everywhere and I lived there for 2 years and hated every single second of it.
I can fully understand hating malls, but the scenic views from the road (even in Scottsdale), the parks, just the general outdoors in AZ out weigh most of the bad things the state has really. Yes, the Cardinals suck, the Diamondbacks suck (right now), the Coyotes...who cares about hockey anyway, but the Suns, come on, 2nd best record in the NBA? You can't throw them into the mix.

I moved here from DC (which I loved) almost a year ago and I haven't regretted it at all. I have really loved it. Life is much easier here.

-Paul

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM

62 posts, read 427,925 times
Lightbulb Definitely NOT anchorage, AK

Forget Anchorage - lived there and unless you like 6 months of darkness and cold, forget it. Totally depressing. The summers are nice (daylight all the time, day and night) - so if you ever take a trip, go there during the summer. The winters are long, really long, dark (no sun at all) an hour or two of 'dusk' which still is quite dark - that's why there are so many alcoholics and suicides in Alaska - people can't handle the darkness, totally depressing.

Question to those in Scottsdale, AZ as I am considering it on 'my list' of possible places to move....
Is it really that bad as far as snobbery ? I keep hearing how snooty everyone is there, and its a concern. Tell me what's the real deal any details you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there much to do there with kids (under the age of 12) ? How hot does it get there during the hottest summer month, also what are the winters like ? How much sun do you get there ? Thanks !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.