Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Such a liberal and accepting northerner. Saying grace before dinner is freaky? It's their house isn't it? That is a common practice among religious people.

Why not face it that you northerners are just as xenophobic and intolerant as a lot of the southerners and conservatives that you criticize all the time. The only thing that is different are the things you believe are acceptable and wrong.

And i'm saying this as a very very liberal democrat.

But it's kind of disprespectful to just break out into prayer and assume the other person is going to join you or listen to you. This is a touchy subject with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But it's kind of disprespectful to just break out into prayer and assume the other person is going to join you or listen to you. This is a touchy subject with people.
Well they live in an area where the vast majority of people are religious. They don't mean anything disrespectful by it. It's the same thing when I hear people complaining and acting so offended when someone there asks them what church they go to. They don't mean to be rude. They are just asking a question as common and social in some circles there as it is asking someone their name. That's just the way it works. Do you expect a gay couple to stop showing affection towards one another just because a straight couple might be in their midst? This tolerance thing works both ways...

Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
If you are in somebody's home and they start praying, well it's their home and they can do what they want.

In taxi cab is another matter entirely. Quoting scriptures to a paying customer is very unprofessional conduct.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, it is disrespectful to go to someone else's home and them complain about whet they do. It doesn't last 30 seconds and if you don't like what someone does in their own home then don't go. I say grace in my home and most of the time we say grace when others are here too. If you don't like it, don't bother to close your eyes, just be silent and still. The food won't run away (at least I hope not!)

Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
If you are in somebody's home and they start praying, well it's their home and they can do what they want.

In taxi cab is another matter entirely. Quoting scriptures to a paying customer is very unprofessional conduct.
I do agree with the cab, there are some places that it is going over the line. I will talk about the Lord with someone who shows interest and who I have a relationship with, not beat them over the head with it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No, it is disrespectful to go to someone else's home and them complain about whet they do. It doesn't last 30 seconds and if you don't like what someone does in their own home then don't go. I say grace in my home and most of the time we say grace when others are here too. If you don't like it, don't bother to close your eyes, just be silent and still. The food won't run away (at least I hope not!)
Well I wouldn't mind it if it were in someone's home. They can choose what to do in their home. But outside of the home (besides church) is when it might be disrespectful.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Such a liberal and accepting northerner. Saying grace before dinner is freaky? It's their house isn't it? That is a common practice among religious people.

Why not face it that you northerners are just as xenophobic and intolerant as a lot of the southerners and conservatives that you criticize all the time. The only thing that is different are the things you believe are acceptable and wrong.

And i'm saying this as a very very liberal democrat.
Grace is not freaky, but as a religious person (if you are), think of how you would feel if you went to dinner at an Athiest's home and they attempted to push their beliefs on you. How would you feel? That said, if you're in someone else's home, be respectful of their beliefs even if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

It has nothing to do with North v South or Blue v Red (but I'm not surprised you try to make it such an issue), but it's an issue of tolerance, acceptance and open-mindedness. Me? I sit through Grace during many meals with my extended family. I'm not religious, but I do accept it although I'm not one to lead "Grace".

Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Great post and I completely agree!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Several years ago we were away at a hockey tournament which occured over Passover. One of the families, who had a vacation home in the area, invited us to have Seder with them. We are not Jewish, but I considered it a honor to be invited to partake in one of their most intimate and solumn religious holiday. It was all very, very nice and we were treated like one of the family as they explained to us the meaning of what was done at the meal.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It has nothing to do with North v South or Blue v Red (but I'm not surprised you try to make it such an issue), but it's an issue of tolerance, acceptance and open-mindedness."
I don't know why certain posters always seem to turn threads into north vs. south or blue vs. red. It shouldn't be a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.