Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
There's just as many fields here in Oregon than a mid western state.
Right but we also have mountains and the ocean. Besides, when you drive through a state like Ohio (which I have done nearly every summer for 18 years) you see almost nothing BUT cornfields. When you drive through Oregon you see high desert, evergreen forests, mountains, wine country, rivers, gorges, etc. The only time I ever see endless cornfields in Oregon is when I drive from Portland to Eugene and after that it's back to hills and forests.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Right but we also have mountains and the ocean. Besides, when you drive through a state like Ohio (which I have done nearly every summer for 18 years) you see almost nothing BUT cornfields. When you drive through Oregon you see high desert, evergreen forests, mountains, wine country, rivers, gorges, etc. The only time I ever see endless cornfields in Oregon is when I drive from Portland to Eugene and after that it's back to hills and forests.
It kind of depends on your route, doesn't it? It's likely there are a lot of parts where you can drive through that are remarkably less cornfieldy.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,546 times
The US is media driven, and the media exists to play up two images...the east coast is the elitist/power player. The seat of government, finance and influence. The west coast is TV/Film and celebrity. In between is sometimes mentioned via Chicago and Texas (with the requisite oil and cowboy images).
Otherwise, according to the portrayed images, it's dullsville.

For those that don't look beyond that facade, it's their loss. And for the record, this "east coast elitist" has had enough of ghetto/urban stank, ridiculous real estate prices, dirty air/litter, rude people and overall dysfunction. I'm moving to southwest Michigan suckas!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
The US is media driven, and the media exists to play up two images...the east coast is the elitist/power player. The seat of government, finance and influence. The west coast is TV/Film and celebrity. In between is sometimes mentioned via Chicago and Texas (with the requisite oil and cowboy images).

For those that don't look beyond that facade, it's their loss. And for the record, this "east coast elitist" has had enough of ghetto/urban stank, ridiculous real estate prices, dirty air/litter, rude people and overall dysfunction. I'm moving to southwest Michigan suckas!
There's no "ghetto/urban stank" or overall dysfunction in Michigan?

Did Detroit get annexed by Ohio or Ontario?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally posted by majoun

Ah, but Michigan is much, MUCH more than Detroit. I'm from Southwest Michigan and it's a very nice place. Nice small towns near or on Lake Michigan. Decent schools and people. Orchards with every fruit you can imagine. But two great cities (Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) that have enough cultural opportunities to keep you interested.

I still think Michigan is underrated.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post

Yeah, I don't know if media people have been brainwashed or they just seem to have such a strong dislike for the places many of them come from. My God, we can't all live on the East or West coasts. Why not live in the inland middle areas of the country? There are plenty of remarkable things there. I would hope someday that people would see big money and plastic people for what they're worth. It sure don't equate to happiness by no means.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Rural areas of the midwest - in general - have not done a great job of creating jobs for younger people. That's why the rural areas of states like Kansas and Nebraska have emptied out so much over the decades.

Yes, I know those are "Great Plains" states, but similar principles apply regionally - I've always thought rural Nebraska has some lovely parts - bluffs, hills, lakes and streams, sand dunes, and relatively pleasant small towns.

But not much in the way of jobs...

Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Most people think of the Midwest as flat, landlocked, and boring; but this is not true. We have several mountain ranges, including the Appalachians in Ohio, the Porcupines (Porkies) in Michigan, the Ozarks in Missouri, and the Black Hills in South Dakota. We also have more coastline than the west or east coast, with the great lakes. Specifically, Michigan has mountains and beaches, but is often overlooked because it's NOT on one of the coasts and has a temperate climate. If Michigan was next to Florida or California, it would probably be a huge vacation spot.
Shhhhhhh! I think it's a conspiracy of the clandestine Midwest States Transplant Alliance to keep people out and to keep the place, nice. In other words, let the coasties believe what they want and your region won't turn into the over taxed, over populated, rude, over regulated, pay through the nose, sleazy, elitist kind of places they live in. BUT, <whispering> you have to get rid of Detroit and Chicago.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Rural areas of the midwest - in general - have not done a great job of creating jobs for younger people. That's why the rural areas of states like Kansas and Nebraska have emptied out so much over the decades.

Yes, I know those are "Great Plains" states, but similar principles apply regionally - I've always thought rural Nebraska has some lovely parts - bluffs, hills, lakes and streams, sand dunes, and relatively pleasant small towns.

But not much in the way of jobs...
Small towns on the coasts don't offer any better opportunities to young people than small towns in the middle of the country. Small rural towns, in general, don't offer much in the way of employment opportunities for young people. It doesn't matter if you live in small town Iowa or small town New Hampshire.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Take a somewhat non-American view of Michigan and Detroit's location in the state via an actual look on the map. Detroit is on the extreme southeast side of the state. Michigan is a very large state. One can live two hours from Detroit in an area worlds away in terms of environment, similar to any other 120 mile apart comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.