Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,691 times

Advertisements

I love the midwest

Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 AM

306 posts, read 476,462 times
I like being from the Midwest, particularly Minneapolis, perhaps because it is not as popular as the East or West. Its almost of a cliche to be from New York or Cali. And I never really experience this "slower pace of life" thing people are talking about, mostly because a Metro of 3 Million results in what I would say a quite fast pace of life.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I've been seeing the ads here in Wisconsin for months now, they even have Tim Allen narrating for them. I must admit that they really are great tourism ads, but it seems like a waste of time to be advertising in Wisconsin.
It is pretty common for states to advertise regional tourism. In Indiana, we get Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Missouri. At Circle Center Mall in downtown Indianapolis, Louisville has a tourism kiosk.

When I lived in Kentucky, it was the same thing. Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, and West Virginia all ran tourism ads.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times
The midwest is great. Lots of nice people. I don't like the cold weather there and I think many areas are too conservative for my liking. Otherwise I would definently consider moving there.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
The midwest is great. Lots of nice people. I don't like the cold weather there and I think many areas are too conservative for my liking. Otherwise I would definently consider moving there.
How does that saying about Pennsylvania go again? Oh that's right, it's "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between." Pennsylvania has just as many conservative rural areas as your average Upper Midwest state. Only the urban areas are going to be more liberal, just as they would be in the Upper Midwest.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Hey calm down. There is no comparison is my whole point. The large cities in the midwest differ so much. You stated 'How many people can tell the difference between ____' or somewhere along those lines. If you can't tell the difference between Columbus and Omaha, something isn't right there! That was pretty much the basis of my reply to you.
My point was that people who have not been to these places and don't live in the Midwest cannot tell the difference at face. Whereas pretty much anyone knows what makes New York or San Francisco or New Orleans unique.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
My point was that people who have not been to these places and don't live in the Midwest cannot tell the difference at face. Whereas pretty much anyone knows what makes New York or San Francisco or New Orleans unique.
Maybe it's just me, but visually, ethnically, culturally, housing, etc is ALL vastly different between the two cities. When I was in Nebraska, I KNEW I was in a very unfamiliar place. It shared little to no characteristics of Columbus. My whole point is, online people may dismiss them as similar, that is certainly true... mainly because of the media and misconceptions of the midwest.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
How does that saying about Pennsylvania go again? Oh that's right, it's "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between." Pennsylvania has just as many conservative rural areas as your average Upper Midwest state. Only the urban areas are going to be more liberal, just as they would be in the Upper Midwest.
truth

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM

85 posts, read 317,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Saying you have more fun by not being distracted by more options is pathetic. I am sorry. That they have something flashy there doesn't mean everybody has to be flashy. It is just that if you want to be flashy, you have the option.
What's "pathetic" is feeling the need to attack someone's opinion as "pathetic." Apparently having the option to partake in those things that are flashy does not breed class or manners. We do have the option to be flashy. We just need to drive a little farther for it as a rule
What I meant by my orignial post is that when you live somewhere where you don't have a steady stream of artificial entertainment, you have a chance to enjoy the simple things in life. Good family and friends, beautiful surroundings, and being able to take time to appreciate all the things around you that don't cost a thing. If that makes me, or my opinion, pathetic, than I am quite happy to be so. Good day to you then.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
I never cared for the lower Midwest much at all. I always felt an urge to get away to some other part of the country quite often. It was never a good fit for me at all and I lived there over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.