Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Go to Orange Blossom Trail and Pine Hills in Orlando and see if you still feel the same way,lol. But glad you had a good Holiday. In Orlando as long as you stay in the tourist areas you are usually fine.
you always seem to put Orlando down everytime you get a chance. the majority of Orlando, outside the tourist area, are great, safe, friendly, and clean looking.. The only exceptions is the pine hills area, and parts of east Orlando (436/goldenrod+50 area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Hi all,

I recently went to Orlando on holiday, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on the whole experience. Me being from a small town in Ireland, the surroundings were very different

Firstly I have to say, it was the cleanest place/city I have ever been to, not once did I see litter, and I'm pretty sure I ventured into a dodgy suburb by mistake, and it too was spotless.

The people, they were the NICEST people I have ever met, I was supprised by this, I didn't expect Americans to be nice (due to all the crime reported in the media). But EVERYONE was so pleasent, from the waitress at Denny's to the random local walking down the street, everyone was so nice. Back home if you were walking down the street and saw someone, you would ignore them at all costs, so it was a very new and somewhat intimidating experience for me, when everyone was saying hello and had a smile on their face. Americans are the nicest people I have ever met. And it wasn't only Orlando/touristy areas we were at, we ventured to St. Petersburg and other small and surrouding areas.

The weather, was glourious, very hot, my Irish skin burned like mad

The sense of community was amazing, maybe it was because Orlando got into the NBA finals, but everyone seemed to be so pround of their city, and there were "lets go magic" signs everywhere.

I have never been anywhere so friendly, I didn't want to go back, I was almost thinking of staying illegally, but I didn't don't worry

After my holiday there, I totally re-assesed my image of the average american. I was honoured to spend time in your country, and want to thank you for your hospitality

P.S - you are all so good looking, it makes us Europeans look so ugly in comparrison
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

What more can one ask from a holiday than pleasure.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Moderator cut: see comment

To the OP, I am so very glad you enjoyed your time in the US. Next trip over, go into a different area and be surprised all over again when it is the same general treatment and feeling, except with different scenery and accents.

Last edited by Bo; 06-17-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Like I said in my post above, we're done with that tangent.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Kudos to you, OP, it's great to hear that it was the people you met that seemed to make the most positive impression on you during your visit to the US. That says a lot about how nice the average US citizen can be when not insulated by the steel of their car or the anonymity of a chat room.

Glad you enjoyed your stay...

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Tim, thank you for your kind comments. we Americans have been poorly treated by the media worldwide. I've often asked those who knock America and Americans if they've ever spent time here and most (at least the honest ones) admit they have not. Please come back again!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Not that this isn't fun or anything, but if you want to talk about this, how about starting another thread and allowing this one to go on, perhaps one of the moderators can transfer your comments. And as always, please do not feed trolls.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
I just want to know how many fanny packs the OP saw while in Orlando.

By the way, city fanatic, fanny has a different meaning over there too.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

116 posts, read 157,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I just want to know how many fanny packs the OP saw while in Orlando.

By the way, city fanatic, fanny has a different meaning over there too.
In the touristy bits, loads of fanny packs as you call em, I always laugh at that, as fanny means, a womans friendly bits here :P

We call them bum-bags haha, not much better heh.

Yeah i loved the downtown part of Orlando, very clean.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Yeah i loved the downtown part of Orlando, very clean.
What do you consider the "Downtown" part of Orlando?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM

116 posts, read 157,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What do you consider the "Downtown" part of Orlando?
I couldn't tell you any of the street names, but I would consider the amway arena and therabouts the downtown area, I walked eastward under the I-4 for 10/15 mminutes as well, there were lots of resturants. Maybe I just hit the touritsy areas, but it seemed nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.