Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 02:31 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

I don't think the NYC area accent is truly non-rhotic, if it ever was. Under 40 accents tend to be fully rhotic, with those over 40 ranging from rhotic to semi rhotic depending on education level.

Yet it still seems to be alive more so in New England, at least when it comes to words like "car".

Note that this referring to mainly to white American English, as AAVE seems more likely to be non-rhotic. Though, that varies by area and individual of course. I would classify NYC AAVE as being "semi-rhotic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
The vast majority of American English speakers everywhere speak a rhotic dialect, and the younger they are, the more likely their speech is to be rhotic. I wouldn't be surprised if non-rhotic American English dialects die out completely during the next century.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:11 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
My mom is in her 50s, educated, and from New York, and her accent is rhotic. She pretty much has every other major New York area feature (Mary-marry-merry distinction, hurry-furry distinction, short-a split with "had" and "bad" not rhyming, "ar" in words like "orange") but has never spoken a word non-rhotically as far as I recall. Maybe it's seen as especially working-class.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
My mom is in her 50s, educated, and from New York, and her accent is rhotic. She pretty much has every other major New York area feature (Mary-marry-merry distinction, hurry-furry distinction, short-a split with "had" and "bad" not rhyming, "ar" in words like "orange") but has never spoken a word non-rhotically as far as I recall. Maybe it's seen as especially working-class.
No, your mother’s accent is not rhotic, if she still maintains all of the distinct features of truly non-rhotic English accents such as those you described. The concept of rhoticity encompasses more than just the pronunciation of the R-like sound where it has historically occurred at the end of words (e.g., major) and followed by a consonant-sound (e.g., part); it applies to the manner by which English speakers treat the letter “R” in all environs. For example, a truly rhotic English speaker would possess both the “Mary-marry-merry” and “furry-hurry” mergers. Also, the “or” vowel sound in words such as “horrible” and “orange” would always be pronounced as “or,” not “ar.” Someone who speaks with a truly rhotic English accent would make distinct lower mandible and tongue formations that subconsciously ensure consistently conservative treatment of the letter “R” in every historic occurrence of the consonant sound. If you closely observe how a native of Colorado or Michigan articulates, then you will observe that their jaws and lips move very differently from a native of northern New Jersey or southern New York with an allegedly “rhotic” English accent.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:21 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm a young New Yorker and I don't say "orange" or "forest" in the manner you describe, but I do say "horrible" in that manner.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:58 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
No, your mother’s accent is not rhotic, if she still maintains all of the distinct features of truly non-rhotic English accents such as those you described. The concept of rhoticity encompasses more than just the pronunciation of the R-like sound where it has historically occurred at the end of words (e.g., major) and followed by a consonant-sound (e.g., part); it applies to the manner by which English speakers treat the letter “R” in all environs. For example, a truly rhotic English speaker would possess both the “Mary-marry-merry” and “furry-hurry” mergers. Also, the “or” vowel sound in words such as “horrible” and “orange” would always be pronounced as “or,” not “ar.” Someone who speaks with a truly rhotic English accent would make distinct lower mandible and tongue formations that subconsciously ensure consistently conservative treatment of the letter “R” in every historic occurrence of the consonant sound. If you closely observe how a native of Colorado or Michigan articulates, then you will observe that their jaws and lips move very differently from a native of northern New Jersey or southern New York with an allegedly “rhotic” English accent.
Irish and Scottish English dialects are always called rhotic AFAIK, but have the hurry-furry and Mary-marry-merry distinctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.