Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in boogie down Bronx, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
No...

My hometown is Pittsford NY and although it is ok there, I like the South much better

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
I was born in DC, raised in West Palm Beach, FL

Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I moved so much growing up I just claim the state of Illinios as my home state.

I never lived anywhere longer than 4 years growing up.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Personally, my hometown is where I was born and grew up. I have lots of freinds who have their hometown somewhere other than where they were born. If my sons hometown is where he was born, that'd be Kentucky. If its where he grew up, and went to school, It'll probably be Niceville Florida. I hope he can say the second option, as he really has no relatives, and no memories of Kentucky.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,164 times
My hometown of Huntington, WV is where I was born and where I grew up.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

207 posts, read 324,678 times
I think the American definition of "where you are from" is very shallow.

We are the only society that doesn't honor where your family is from and where they have been for years. I guess that is just the nature of our society though. All other countries in the world are pretty stable. Our population constantly changes through immigration.

I guess I have such an old fashioned view of "where you are from" because of my own background. I lived away from Alabama during most of my childhood and I wasn't born there, but that is where all my relatives are and where my ancestors have been ever since before the Civil War. So therefore THAT is my home.

I have to laugh at people who are my age who's parents came down to Alabama from Michigan or New Jersey and they consider themselves more from Alabama than I am just because they grew up there. To me they will always be yankees.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM

343 posts, read 932,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Is your hometown where you were born or where you grew up?
Hopefully both. Usually it is where you graduated high school. But let's imagine some competing scenarios.

1) You were born in Kalamazoo, MI and your family moved to Oshkosh, WI within the first year such that you don't remember the city you were born. In this case, your hometown is Oshkosh.

2) You were born in Portland, OR and your family lived there until you started school (age 5). Then you moved to Logan, UT. In this case, your hometown is still Logan.

3) You were born in Amarillo, TX and lived there until halfway through high school at which point you moved to Truth or Consequences, NM. In this case, it depends on which city you identify most closely with. However, most likely, Truth or Consequences will be your "hometown" in college.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM

343 posts, read 932,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
All other countries in the world are pretty stable. Our population constantly changes through immigration.
I think you better check those figures again. The US is growing much more slowly than most other countries in the world. Even among developed nations, US population change is quite stable.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM

207 posts, read 324,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I think you better check those figures again. The US is growing much more slowly than most other countries in the world. Even among developed nations, US population change is quite stable.

What do you mean? To be a Swede you should be ethnically Swedish. To be a Kenyan you should be ethnically Kenyan. Same for Japan etc... America and Canada and perhaps Australia are the only countries you can't say this about.

Most of the third world isn't taking in immigrants. Most people don't want to immigrate to those countries. When it comes to 1st world countries, it doesn't matter how many people immigrate to Europe....to me a European will always be a European.

To be an American or a Canadian is something entirely different. It isn't based on blood and soil.

And I thought that on the other thread you were trying to convince about how much America's population was shifting ethnically. Tell, me, where else in the world is it more intense than here? You have me lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.