Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 17,855 times

Advertisements

The most European North American City? Montreal or Quebec City.

In the hunt:

Boston reminds me of some parts of northern Europe. I mean, there are 'squares' (although not totally identical to the huge squares in continental european cities, but what other US city has squares???), trams running in the streets, brick homes and cobblestoned streets in places, coffeeshops (1369 Coffeehouse reminds me of the Bagel and Beans near Light square in Amsterdam), and the people in downtown areas of Boston dress in the European style: conservative, good quality clothing with flashes of creativity; less casual, more upmarket than many other parts of the US. There's even the Charles river flowing through Boston which you can take boat cruises on, which reminds me of the canals and rivers of some European cities. And there's the Boston Esplanade and the park around it...Vondelpark in Amsterdam, anyone?

What's different: The Red Sox craze (who cares about baseball in Europe?) not as polyglot as Europe for sure, sunny in winter rather than oppressive grey in Europe, much less bicycle culture in Boston than in Europe, Europeans are generally better dressers. And of course the presentation of food in Europe is very different than in the US, the various courses, manners, etc. Dining is much more of an experience in Europe, in my opinion. And of course there's nothing like the medieval architecture of Europe anywhere in the US.

Washington DC reminds me of Brussels, for some reason. Multicultural, political, did I say openly multicultural? of course, most of Europe isn't like Brussels and most of the US isn't like DC.

San Francisco: sure the trams give that superficial European appearance; the extensive metro network also is similar to European cities; the bicycles that overrun Berkeley and surrounding areas are Benelux-city-like; the creperies in SF are like France; the diversity mimics some multicultural European cities, although SF is much more Asian than the most multicultural European city. But SF is unique.

The US cities appear to project: Power: (skyscrapers, extraordinary skylines, big roads, big cars). Continental European cities project: subtlety (fewer skyscrapers; small cars; gleaming trains; old architecture; monuments).

Last edited by ohpeequeue; 02-13-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
i'm new and accidentally rated this post positively. just wanted to state that this person obviously has no compassion for the poster that was attempting to explain her situation as clearly as possibly while NOT degrading her family. if they have the problems she suggests..she could have said a lot worse to be ugly than she did. hush your mouth was a juvenile comment made by an apparently disrespectful person. ignore them sweetie do your best, and follow your heart, what else can you do? i wish the best for y9oou where ever you may go!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troovixen View Post
i'm new and accidentally rated this post positively. just wanted to state that this person obviously has no compassion for the poster that was attempting to explain her situation as clearly as possibly while NOT degrading her family. if they have the problems she suggests..she could have said a lot worse to be ugly than she did. hush your mouth was a juvenile comment made by an apparently disrespectful person. ignore them sweetie do your best, and follow your heart, what else can you do? i wish the best for y9oou where ever you may go!
You do know that you resurrected an old post.

Who knows where the OP is...but I read her post and it did come off rather disdainful

Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM

623 posts, read 958,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
New York City, because it feels and looks like London.

Boston because it's the closet to the Old World you'll probably get to in the US.

Judging from your post, however, something strongly tells me that you won't fit in well in these cities at all....or Europe for that matter. I'd stick to Podunk, Idaho.

Good lord, man.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Climate wise, the West Coast mimics Europe.

Stuff-people-made wise, there are parts of California that mimic the Mediterranean part of Europe.

Stuff-people-made wise, the northern part of Europe's feel is tough to find other than a few older parts of the East Coast. Problem there is, the climate on the East Coast is more like the Pacific Coast of Asia and is unlike Europe.
No, the West Coast mimics Italy, Portugal or France, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Finland, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Albania, Montenagro, Croatia, Denmark, etc. All have winters more similar to the Northeast

Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
What's the most similar to Latvia? That's what I'm looking for.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
I'm looking for an Estonian vibe, myself.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I know how the OP feels. I'm not looking to move to one of these places, but I've been wondering about this myself. You will not find any place in America that is like living in Europe, but there are some alternatives.

Minneapolis -- Heavy Scandinavian influence, great public transit, and just a very visually appealing city.
Portland -- Looks and feels like Copenhagen or something
Boston -- Very old school architecture, some of the neighborhoods definitely remind you of Europe.
Washington DC -- Skyline (or lack thereof) reminds you of a European city. Also laid out very well for a city.
San Francisco -- This one is obvious. While not feeling European, it's a great choice.

I'm sure there are some others. But those are the main ones. NYC is my favorite city in the world, but it doesn't feel like Europe, aside from being one of the greatest cities you can find anywhere.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
Montreal or Quebec City

Boston or San Francisco

Downtown Manhattan

Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Wowzers, I wonder how the OP is doing. Sounds rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.