Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times

Advertisements

Your criteria points toward one place, Charlotte.

The crime isn't that bad. Like most major cities, the statistics are skewed by pockets of high crime that you won't ever set foot in. It has a mild four season climate, some very nice residential areas, a low cost relative to other areas of the US, the NFL's Carolina Panthers and NBA's Carolina Bobcats, the NCAA Division I UNC Charlotte 49ers (Conference USA), Davidson Wildcats (Southern Conference) and Winthrop Eagles (Big South), it's definitely an All-American city, and is quite laidback. Two great areas to check out are NE Charlotte near the UNCC campus...also called University City. Another nice place is Pineville, a suburb just across the city line on the SE side.

Welcome to Pineville, NC :: Welcome from the Mayor
University City, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Your criteria points toward one place, Charlotte.

The crime isn't that bad. Like most major cities, the statistics are skewed by pockets of high crime that you won't ever set foot in. It has a mild four season climate, some very nice residential areas, a low cost relative to other areas of the US, the NFL's Carolina Panthers and NBA's Carolina Bobcats, the NCAA Division I UNC Charlotte 49ers (Conference USA), Davidson Wildcats (Southern Conference) and Winthrop Eagles (Big South), it's definitely an All-American city, and is quite laidback. Two great areas to check out are NE Charlotte near the UNCC campus...also called University City. Another nice place is Pineville, a suburb just across the city line on the SE side.

Welcome to Pineville, NC :: Welcome from the Mayor
University City, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The OP's criteria also point to Nashville which actually has more NCAA schools in its metro area than Charlotte including a very prestigious SEC school, Vanderbilt.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Does Seattle qualify?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,301 times
Wow, so many replies that i most likely would have never thought of. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to do a bit of research on each place listed then i'll repost a list with only the cities that definetly fit all of my original criteria so you all can know. Very helpful so far, thank-you all and if anyone has anymore suggestions keep them coming.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Nashville's area has Belmont, Lipscomb, Tennessee State and Vanderbilt for D1 programs. Charlotte has UNC-Charlotte, Davidson and Winthrop. Nashville has pro Football and hockey. Charlotte has pro Football and Basketball. Man, I think it is about even in everything else. So, it is a tough decision.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Here is what i have found out about everyone's suggested cities. Seattle is out because it's cost of living is much higher than the national average. Jacksonville is out because it only has one pro sports team the jaguars. Okc is out because it also has only one pro sports team in the nba which it stole from seattle otherwise it would have zero. Disgregard my previous post i'm not counting arena football teams or rugby teams, only mlb, nhl, nfl, nba, and pro soccer teams. So that leaves us with these cities that qualify in all areas: Tampa, Nashville, Houston, Charlotte, and Phoenix in no particular order.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Hello, I am searching for my perfect place in america, and I don't know if it exists, so I am looking for some help. Here is a list of things that I am looking for in this destination in no particular order but i want this location to satisfy all of these criteria. Also when refering to cities, please don't hold statistics for just the city itself against the entire metro area. Thanks.

- lower than average crime for u.s metro areas
- lower than or average cost of living for the u.s
- has at least 2 major professional sports teams within the metro area, such as mlb, nhl, nba, nfl, I don't count minor league teams like AAA baseball etc.
- has year round weather that rarely or never falls below 30 degrees F. I'm not as much interested in annual days of sunshine, natural disasters etc. Just don't want prolonged days or nights below freezing
- has a division 1 college or university within the metro area
- still has american values, and seems like an american city
- has a laid back and unmaterialistic vibe to the area
Does this city exist? Please help me out with your knowledge of where this place might be. Thanks much for any and all help.
I would say Houston or Dallas easily fit all your criteria.

Add cosmopolitan flair and world class culture as well to what these cities bring to the table

Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Yes, Dallas does fit all of the criteria and Houston was already on the list. So the new list looks like this: Tampa, Nashville, Houston, Charlotte, Phoenix, Dallas in no particular order.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
One last piece of advice for you while making your decision. Consider year-round weather. As a native Floridian who got out, I can tell you that having long screaming hot summers (April through September) with high humidity is not pleasant. The same thought process would involve Texas as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nashville's area has Belmont, Lipscomb, Tennessee State and Vanderbilt for D1 programs. Charlotte has UNC-Charlotte, Davidson and Winthrop. Nashville has pro Football and hockey. Charlotte has pro Football and Basketball. Man, I think it is about even in everything else. So, it is a tough decision.
You forgot the largest university in the Nashville MSA, MTSU which is also a D1 NCAA school and has over 20,000 students. That means Nashville actually has two D1 BCS schools (Vanderbilt and MTSU) while Charlotte has one (UNCC).

Last edited by JMT; 08-04-2009 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.