Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State Has the Best Universities?
New York 12 6.09%
Massachusetts 48 24.37%
Pennsylvania 13 6.60%
New Jersey 3 1.52%
District of Columbia 1 0.51%
Ohio 14 7.11%
Missouri 0 0%
Illinois 7 3.55%
North Carolina 19 9.64%
Texas 8 4.06%
Colorado 2 1.02%
California 55 27.92%
Other 15 7.61%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
California gets a lot of flack for varying reasons on this forum, but despite this states problems I'd still say we have the best Public University System in the country. Lots of choices + Excellent quality and reputation + Relative Affordability(for in state residents anyways), the closest competition I've seen is Massachusetts and imo they're more stacked on the Private side of things.

On the Privates we have some truly excellent ones like say Stanford and USC not including lesser known ones the Claremont Colleges. The only reason I won't be attending one of the UCs is because Ohio State gave me a Finaid package I couldn't resist in addition to instate tuition.
You're missing Caltech which is also a very good school and a lot of art and design schools for California.

California is on top overall, though I think Massachusetts should get it per capita-wise (or New England as a whole).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Yep,
Stanford, Cal Tech, UC Berkeley and UCLA are all globally recognized instititions known for academic excellence.

UCSF, UC San Diego and USC are also known for academic excellence.

And there are many others recognized for high quality.

Superb higher education is something CA has in abundance.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Wow! California should have been #1 in this poll by huge margin. No other state is even close to the quality of universities that California has.
Yeah, particularly with regards to public higher education, where it’s CA going away. From this ranking, 8 of the top 67 universities located in the US (and of 143 worldwide) are UC schools. Of the remaining 54 US schools, I counted only 17 as being public. Almost one-third of all the most highly regarded American public universities are located in CA. Which is in addition to two private schools in the top three, and three in the top 55.

World University Rankings 2011-2012 - Times Higher Education

Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM

628 posts, read 663,036 times
Mass is number one, and I don't think that can be debated. I have a hard time putting California second, given that the state takes up almost the entire west coast of the country. Also, while the public system does offer some good schools (berk, ucla) it has many more that should be condemned/shut down.

So for second place I put New York. Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

Columbia, cornell, nyu, west point, julliard, vassar, syracuse, colgate, rit. Also, the suny system is vastly underrated (binghamton, ub, albany are all fine schools).

I am sure there are many more, but this is just what I thought of while typing.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're missing Caltech which is also a very good school and a lot of art and design schools for California.

California is on top overall, though I think Massachusetts should get it per capita-wise (or New England as a whole).
Such schools as Berklee, Julliard, RISD and the Iowa Writers' Workshop can be counted in their respective states, but California can still point to SciArc, CalArts, CCAC, Art Center College of Design, etc. Maybe not known generally but at the top tier in their fields.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Mass is number one, and I don't think that can be debated. I have a hard time putting California second, given that the state takes up almost the entire west coast of the country. Also, while the public system does offer some good schools (berk, ucla) it has many more that should be condemned/shut down.

So for second place I put New York. Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

Columbia, cornell, nyu, west point, julliard, vassar, syracuse, colgate, rit. Also, the suny system is vastly underrated (binghamton, ub, albany are all fine schools).

You've never left the East Coast, have you?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM

484 posts, read 871,397 times
Quote:

Yes it can.

Actually what can't be debated is that California, especially when it comes to public universities, is #1. It's a popular consensus and one can just search any rankings (US News, Times Higher Education, ARWU, etc.) for evidence. California consistently averages more schools in the rankings and more schools in the top 30-40% of those rankings.

When one considers everything - public, private, liberal arts, art/fine arts school, state level, community level, quality, affordability, access, variety, etc. - California is at the top.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
Quote:

Eh? Are we still talking about higher ed? The Cal States are not as prestigious as the UCs or some of the name brand Privates like Stanford or USC, but they still provide a quality education at a bargain too! I know many states that would kill to have a University system that rivals Cali.

Having lived in Colorado and Texas courtesy of the Army, Californians really don't know how good they have it when it comes to higher ed.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM

462 posts, read 720,133 times
California has the best mix of public and private, then again it isn't fair. There are more people to serve than Canada. MIT and Harvard are top tier schools, but the rest of the MA schools are not as outstanding. CA has Caltech, UCLA, Stanford, Berkeley, and USC - all top 25. UC schools are all ranked pretty high. Cal State schools - not so much.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
It confuses me why almost half of the people who voted in this poll chose anything other than California or MA. They either are just voting for their home state or lack a brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.