Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times

Advertisements

Ok, now this thread is kinda similar to the Southern stereotype thread and Im looking for feedback on similar situations or how Southerners feel. Ok I just got back from a week long trip to Atlanta, Im half white and Spanish but I look white and my girlfriend is Spanish but looks Mexican, so Im sure people in the South probably thought we were a white and mexican couple. We spent time in the tourist areas and the non tourist areas and tried to live like a local while down there.

We stayed in College Park,GA and spent most of our time in South ATL or Downtown. My girlfriend was kinda nervous to go down South considering all the negative images there is of the South, now I have been to MS,AR,LA, and TN before so I have seen a little bit of the South.

Most of the time we were one of the people that werent African American, we were tottally the minority in South ATL metro.
I have to say that overall we were treated very good and people were more polite to us than they are here in New Mexico. We didnt recieve any strange looks and people were very helpful when we would ask for help or directions and would talk on and on. We took a road trip to Birmingham,Alabama and roamed around the metro area and even went into some stores in the smaller Alabama towns on the way and nothing out of the ordinary there either, just normal people from what we saw.

ATL looked a little run down and so did Birmingham but both places had people that looked alot more sophisticated and well off than here in NM for the South being so poor, now I now the South is poor but they also have high end shopping that we dont have here either.

I loved the green,the trees and the food and also the humidity, which we found out wasnt all that bad, our skin felt good and hydrated even though I sweat just sitting in my seat at the Braves game at 7 oclock at night it felt good.

This was just from a week there so living there might be a little different, I dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
I'm glad that you had a good time. I'm from here and my favorite places are the in-town ATL areas but it is good to see how the regulars live. Atlanta is a major city, so the high end stuff would be there. If you ever return it'll probably look a little different (right now, downtown looks a little busted because of ramp construction).

Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Sounds like a fair assessment. Your experiences could have been different (not necessarily worse or better, just different) in another part of the South though.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
I used to live in Albuquerque! Your assessment of Atlanta matches my experience in living here.

The first thing I noticed once I moved here 13 years ago is the "Southern Hospitality" people speak of is still pretty much alive and well, particularly with native Southerners. There are good people everywhere and nasty people everywhere. Atlanta, even after all these years is a generally lovely place to live with its share of all kinds of folks. I have never been to region that is friendlier and more tolerant of all types and all races, though.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sounds like a fair assessment. Your experiences could have been different (not necessarily worse or better, just different) in another part of the South though.

I know what you are saying, I havent spent all that much time in the South but it has been all positive from the big cities to the small towns, now Im sure there are some racist people that might despise other races in their towns but that is everywhere in the country no matter if people wanna believe it or not. New Mexico is probably one of the most accepting states and it has its share of racist poeple, its just no one talks about it.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM

402 posts, read 853,315 times
cool. i just moved to Huntsville this summer, although I'm going to NYC for school in the fall. I am glad you debunked the myth about southerners being rascist. And those areas may be not as run down as you think. For example the city of Birmingham doesn't have a new feel (although still some good stuff), but areas just south of Birmingham are very upscale. And with Atlanta, south ATL is generally not that well to do, but some areas like Buckhead and areas north are very upscale. So its not really that the south is poor; many people are of course poor but every state/city has poor people. But I am glad you liked it.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
The found the only nice area of Atlanta was Peachtree St. Even on a weekend night it was pretty deserted.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Sounds like you haven't really explored Atlanta.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,351,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sounds like you haven't really explored Atlanta.
And maybe she has. I have driven trucks in the northeast for many days at a time. After about 2 weeks in the Northeast, every thing south of DC seems kinda deserted. Even Atlanta.

Keep in mind, "Rachael84" is a New Yorker (I think). If it doesn't look like Times Square, it is probably "deserted" to her. Just saying.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
I'm glad y'all had a good time, its good to hear something positive about the South for once .

The South is where I will live one day, hopefully soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.