Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times

Advertisements

According to online sources, the following states allow some or all types of consumer fireworks: Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

States that allow only sparklers and/or other novelties: Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Ohio, and Vermont.

States that allow only novelty fireworks: Arizona

States that ban all consumer fireworks: Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island

As a NJ resident, I have had issues with the state's fireworks policy for years. Some think this is a relatively unimportant matter, but I think it's symbolic.

How do you feel about the firework laws in your state. Do you feel they are too lenient or too harsh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
California's policy restricts fireworks from being able to leave the ground for general consumers. I believe "fountain fireworks" are as "exciting" as they legally get (That doesn't mean there aren't loads of illegal ones here). Cities and counties add further policies though. My city does not allow fireworks of any type for example.

Its not a bad law considering that much of California is a matchbox ready to catch fire at first spark. We don't need any more forest or brush fires than we already get so I am in favor of the policy. I approve of cities and counties being able to make further restrictions. Communities that are adjacent to brush or in forests for example feel they need to restrict all fireworks for safety of preventing brush fires and resident's homes.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Michigan has some very restrictive fireworks laws as well. I don't have a problem with it. While not as dry as California is usually, we do have drier spells in the summers and over 1/2 the state is forestland.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
legalize fireworks!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
As a NJ resident, I have had issues with the state's fireworks policy for years. Some think this is a relatively unimportant matter, but I think it's symbolic.
It's symbolic of living in one of the most densely populated states in America.
Notice the size & density of the states that "ban all consumer fireworks". Are you seeing a trend? NY because of NYC............... I assume.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Wow, not toooo sure about the list...I think Washington state reaally limits the fireworks now (except on the Rez).

Here in Tennessee, home of the 2-finger wave, if it blows up, you can git it! God bless Tennessee!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
In PA the stuff that's legal seems more like novelties - things you can buy at Walmart. Firecrackers, rockets, etc., are illegal. We have fireworks factories but they aren't allowed to sell here. Around the 4th of July, Ohio fireworks sellers advertise on our local TV stations in Pittsburgh. They have the real deal. I don't know of anyone using illegal fireworks ever getting busted here. A lot of things are imported from China and can be dangerous. I set off a dud rocket that landed on my neighbors roof burning away.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,769 times
I think its a good thing that they aren't allowed here. People here still have fireworks and light them off, but it seems they are more careful with them because they are illegal. It probably makes people more vigilant. When I was in Florida, people were lighting them off dangerously close to me right on the beach! When I saw that, it made me glad that fireworks are restricted in my state.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Lots of stuff legal in Colo but many cities ban a lot of it. Practically everything is legal in Nebraska, and people shoot off fireworks right in front of the police in downtown Omaha. You could probably detonate a nuclear weapon in Wyoming and no one would much notice. JK, for all you Wyo Cowboys!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
It's symbolic of living in one of the most densely populated states in America.
Notice the size & density of the states that "ban all consumer fireworks". Are you seeing a trend? NY because of NYC............... I assume.
I don't know if this is neccessarily the case. The states that have gone to the length of banning all fireworks seem to be the most left-leaning. Since you brought up New York, I would say it goes more to NYC's overbearing political sway in NY than NYC's population. I doubt the folks upstate would care much, but NYC gets what NYC wants and its population is generally a liberal, pro-regulatory bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.