Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,202 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's the deal: I am currently living in Georgia, in a city of Gwinnett County which used to be a good place to live, however, I have seen the area rapidly deteriorate over the last 5 years. Crime, drugs, break ins, vandalism, murders. You name it. Being witness to two murders (in three months) with my 2 year old daughter forced me to make a decision. I have to move! I am open to anywhere. So .....where?

I have been researching til it hurts and it seems I just want too much for too little. In desperation, I am posting this in case you live in a magical place I describe...please let me know! Here's what I need:

I am most concerned about crime. I need to feel safe going out alone.
Good school system. Good Montessori School a bonus.
Big yard, preferably newer construction for $170ish.
Quiet but within driving distance (30mins-1hr) to the city.
Jobs available. Hour long commute is ok. I work at home, fortunately, hubby has IT degree but is currently an Account Manager and will do anything.
Scenery!!! Mountains, lakes, beach, canyon, I dont care, I just need natural beauty close by.
An active art community would be a bonus but not necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Since you can only afford 170K, the cities that would satisfy your requests, except landscape, would be Wichita KS and Iowa City IA. You cannot buy a home in a safe neighborhood for less than 500K outside of the Deep South or the Great Plains north of the Oklahoma border.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,830,183 times
Well If you dont care about moving to far you here in MA its basically perfect. A perfect town for you is Stoughton MA, there's hardly ever crime it's a small nice town you could walk around places anytime of the night, 30 minute drive from Boston, MA 30 to 45 minute drive to a beach (about 1 hour to the Cape) you have th blue hills 5 mintues away, Stoughton has a good school system nice house's around your budget you have about 2 big lakes in the town and there's good nice little restaurants spreaded across town. You are also near Providence 1 hour drive, NYC 3.5 hours and the only problem is the winter we have some crappy winters and thats about it. ~Boston14~ Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Why don't you just move to another Atlanta suburb?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here you go: Central New York Jobs in Information Technology
Central New York Jobs

#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Onondaga (broken link)

Syracuse Arts Net Home
Syracuse Arts Net Directory

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Montessori School of Syracuse > Home

and much more

Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Since you can only afford 170K, the cities that would satisfy your requests, except landscape, would be Wichita KS and Iowa City IA. You cannot buy a home in a safe neighborhood for less than 500K outside of the Deep South or the Great Plains north of the Oklahoma border.
That is completely false. You can buy a home in a safe neighborhood for under 100k here in Upstate NY, easily and in a good school district.

Check this out: Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

and many more, that actually cost less.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Paradise is in the mind of the beholder.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM

111 posts, read 346,158 times
I used to live in Greenwood Indiana. It's a south suburb of Indianapolis. It's very safe especially around the Center Grove area. Home prices are around your range.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is completely false. You can buy a home in a safe neighborhood for under 100k here in Upstate NY, easily and in a good school district.

Check this out: [url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=209643]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=211775]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=213010]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=213255]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=209012]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=195988]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=215943]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=214367]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

[url=http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowProp.asp?AgentID=&ML=201198]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url]

and many more, that actually cost less.

Most people would say that Schenectady (SP?) has the same day to day life as Fargo ND. My point is, you can't buy a house in LA, San Diego, Denver, Salt Lake, DC Metro, NYC, Philly and any other metro with the OPs requirements on 170K.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,202 times
Thank you all very much for the replies, information and suggestions. I am going to spend a few hours this weekend researching these locations. Many, many thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.