Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

what makes Macy's and Dillard's so popular? Is it their sales, their stuff, their selection? That they are found in very few affluent areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
All I know is that they both suck, Macy's is overpriced

Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
I don't know where you live that Dillard's and Macy's aren't in affluent areas. Scottsdale Fashion Square is home to both Dillard's and Macy's. Biltmore Fashion Park is home to a Macy's, as well.

I think Dillard's and Macy's both have affordable, everyday clothes. Also, many old department stores were bought out by Macy's, so Macy's is now in many malls that it wasn't in 10 or 15 years ago.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I don't know where you live that Dillard's and Macy's aren't in affluent areas. Scottsdale Fashion Square is home to both Dillard's and Macy's. Biltmore Fashion Park is home to a Macy's, as well.

I think Dillard's and Macy's both have affordable, everyday clothes. Also, many old department stores were bought out by Macy's, so Macy's is now in many malls that it wasn't in 10 or 15 years ago.
Yeah, but I can argue that by saying some of the stores Macy's bought out were in affluent areas.

All the Macy's in California are in locations that have a decent size affluent population.

Santa Barbara, Monterey, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, San Rafael, Corte Madera, etc...

Even in cities that aren't so affluent like Bakersfield, Encino, and Santa Maria they have Macy's because those cities have an upper class population in the area.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I think maybe Macy's USE to be in selected affluent areas, but these days it's about as affluent as Target for the most part.

They're all over the place, Rochester, MN, Boise, Kansas City, Cleveland, Oklahoma City, etc. etc. Not saying those placse aren't nice, but Macy's these days are a dime a dozen. In the meantime they've really killed off their popularity on a large scale by eating up many historical regional department stores and changing the name/feel to Macy's. They're still popular in NYC and other original areas, but at least in the Midwest they receive no love.

I thought the same with Dillards. I mean we had a big Dillard Department store in our suburban mall of Iowa City growing up.

I view Macy's move as similar to Abercrombie in the late 1990's. Abercrombie use to be mostly centered on select large urban areas. Because of that the name meant a little more, and it seemed a lot more popular across the country since it wasn't as easy to find. They they opened 500 stores across the land, and within 5 years it was just the same expensive clothes you could find at any suburban mall in almost any city.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Macy's bought at lot of regional department stores. Some of them were comparatively high-end, some of them were middle-market. The quality of Macy's stores varies widely from region to region, depending on the store it replaced. They're not popular so much as the only ones left standing.

In New York City, Macy's is considered rather low-end, but that's because we still have a lot of better department stores: Bergdorf Goodman, Saks, Barney's and Lord and Taylor. Macy's also owns Bloomingdale's which is their entry in the higher-end market.

I think their business strategy is to build a two-tier model: Macy's as the middle-market store and Bloomingdale's for the high-end.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 09-10-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Macys used to have a pretty uppity multi-level store in downtown Atlanta, which closed. At one time they were typically in "better" malls in the metro area, but can be pretty much found anywhere now. Back home in Charleston, WV they bought out Kaufman's and are in the mall there, and Charleston is not a high-priced town regarding retail (that being the only mall in the city).

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I shop at Macys a lot. I love Macys. But I go to the flagship store in Herald Square. The selection is unmatched, and at "the world's largest store" I can almost always find exactly what I want. I buy almost all of my ties, sportcoats, shirts, cufflinks, polo shirts, etc. there. I can usually get these things on decent sales, and certainly cheaper than menswear from Barneys (how many men need a $1600 Prada overcoat?).

However, if you go to a Macys store at Random Centre Mall in Randomville USA, the Macys store usually doesn't look any bigger or better than a JC Penney.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Chicagoans hate Macys

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
After Macy's purchased G. Fox Department stores in Hartford G. Fox went under. Enough said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.