Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times

Advertisements

When I think of "gay friendly" I think of the traditional California, Washington, Oregon, New England, etc.

Are there any states/areas that you wouldn't think of as the norm gay friendly? Just an example: Maybe Des Moines, IA is gay friendly and I don't know it. Maybe Portland, OR isn't that gay friendly.

Any offbeat suggestions? I ask this because stereotypical gay friendly areas are hugely expensive. Why do gay people drive up prices, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I think that gay people drive up prices because so few have children, so have more disposable income. But the term "drive up prices" may be a little harsh.

It will be interesting to hear others' points of view.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Default Atlanta GA

Many gays prefer Buckhead, Virginia Highlands/Intown and Decatur in Atlanta.

The better educated/affluent --more openminded, aristocrats, if you will lived in these areas around the turn of the century.

That part of Atlanta needs and deserves to be appreciated. It's something to see in the Spring --all green, pink, white and yellow.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 PM

I did a little searching and I even read that places in KANSAS are gay friendly. Nothing against that state but wow, I figured super-conservative! I'd love to hear offball gay friendly places. Somewhere where prices haven't exploded.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
Minneapolis, MN and Madison, WI are a couple places to consider in the upper midwest.

Interestingly enough, I had a friend who lived in Fargo for a time who said there was a surprisingly healthy gay scene there. It's definitely not a big mecca for "flamers", but is quite tolerant nonetheless. I would imagine that being a college town with a well educated population has a lot to do with it.

Fargo-Moorhead is growing, but the prices are still very reasonable. Of course you have to deal with extreme temperatures in both summer and winter...but all in all it's really not such a bad little city.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I did a little searching and I even read that places in KANSAS are gay friendly. Nothing against that state but wow, I figured super-conservative! I'd love to hear offball gay friendly places. Somewhere where prices haven't exploded.
Lawrence, Kansas is pretty gay-friendly and known as a liberal oasis in Kansas, largely due to it being a university town. Similarly, there are college towns sprinkled throughout the U.S. that generally are very gay-friendly. Places like Norman, Oklahoma and Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Can't say it's offbeat, but Providence, RI was probably the most gay friendly town (city) I ever lived in. Totally supportive, and involved in many of the issues faced by the LGBT community from the citizens to the government.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Good to hear about those "off the wall" towns like Lawrence, KS. At least they haven't become ridiculously expensive. Thanks people! Any more ideas would also be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 AM

85 posts, read 505,269 times
Definitely midtown Atlanta was the shocker for me. Who would have thought there would be such an open gay population in Georgia???

Used to be fun, my wife and I would go down to 14th street for coffee and people watching. Ah, I miss those Atlanta times!

Oh well, back to stuffy old San Diego!

Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,267 times
Midtown Atlanta for gay men, Decatur for lesbians...and two of my favorite vacation spots...Key West FL and Provincetown MA

Oh yeah, Chapel Hill and Carrboro N.C. are very gay friendly towns. Carrboro has a gay mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.