Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

SanFrancisco needs to be clarified more. It's walkable and Hike-able. When I traverse a steep street there, I'm hiking, not walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
its a shame. its the great northeast section that's bringing philly down as far as walkability and density. it was basically its own county with suburban type towns which got incorporated to the city. in many ways, its like another world over there.

Quote:
The first European settlement in the Northeast was by Swedish farmers, who emigrated there when the area was a part of the New Sweden colony.[4] They were followed by English Quakers, including Thomas Holme, who came to begin the settlement of William Penn's Pennsylvania colony in the late 1680s. In the years to follow, Northeast Philadelphia developed as a scattering of small towns and farms that were a part of the county, but not the city, of Philadelphia. Before consolidation with the city, what is now the Northeast consisted of the townships of Byberry, Delaware, Lower Dublin, Moreland, and Oxford, (largely rural areas); and the boroughs of Bridesburg, Frankford, and White Hall, which were more urbanized.[5]

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
its a shame. its the great northeast section that's bringing philly down as far as walkability and density. it was basically its own county with suburban type towns which got incorporated to the city. in many ways, its like another world over there.
The Northeast is the part I like-lots of immigrants (Brazilians/Russians/etc..). Besides, Philly is desperate for the tax income the NE brings since they can't get their hand on any money the Main Line towns suck from the city.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
The Northeast is the part I like-lots of immigrants (Brazilians/Russians/etc..). Besides, Philly is desperate for the tax income the NE brings since they can't get their hand on any money the Main Line towns suck from the city.
yeah, i actually like the diversity there. and the tax income. but, there's been some dissension from the NE camp anyway. i get a sense that they don't want to be part of the city

Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, Staten island, that's it. That represents about 20% of NYC.
The subways are the only thing that make it possible.
Other than that, the distances are tremendous in NYC. Uptown to downtown is like 8 miles.
There are only a few cities that you can get around and see a lot on foot. DC, Boston, and NO are the top 3.
That being said. If I were to choose the number 1 city in America to see it would be NYC.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
walkscore.com has a top 10 list. it's obviously not the definitive list, but props to LA & Long Beach making the top 10.

America's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walkability Rankings of the Largest 40 U.S. Cities
This is a good list however I believe that it is meant to show what neighborhoods you could live in without a car.

It's not really meant for a visitor on foot who wants to see a lot.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
This is a good list however I believe that it is meant to show what neighborhoods you could live in without a car.

It's not really meant for a visitor on foot who wants to see a lot.
That's very true, but it's also worth keeping in mind that what people want to see can vary widely. I want to see a mix of big attractions (the top cultural sites or museums, etc.) as well as spend a lot of time in neighborhoods. In LA, for example, my favorite tourist itineraries (which do include some museums and other more tradional tourist items) are more easily served by a combination of walking and public transportation than by driving. If my LA itinerary included a lot of time in Malibu, driving around in the hills, or out in some of the parks (which are a lot of fun, too), then it would be doable but would eat up a lot of time if trying to do those things without a car. I think that's true of many cities. Depends on what sorts of things you want to do in the specific city.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
City proper: SF

Part of a city/borough: Manhattan
Honorable mention: Chicago and Boston

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
While NYC is not to be missed on your trip, don't go there expecting to find America. New York is almost a country unto it self and has little in common with the rest of the US. Also the downtown core of cities like Washington, Philadelphia and Boston where you would be walking are special and unique enclaves and don't represent the way an average American lives. They are all worth seeing but just know that won't be the "real" America.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
While NYC is not to be missed on your trip, don't go there expecting to find America. New York is almost a country unto it self and has little in common with the rest of the US. Also the downtown core of cities like Washington, Philadelphia and Boston where you would be walking are special and unique enclaves and don't represent the way an average American lives. They are all worth seeing but just know that won't be the "real" America.
And the "real" America would be where? Houston? Buffalo? Great Falls? Meridian, MS? Anchorage? Punxatawney? Klamath Falls? Santa Fe? Bryson City? Hilo? Town 'n' Country, FL? Wichita? Where???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.