Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Entertainment is such a vague word because different people find different things entertaining. I can see how a big city would have more built-in entertainment. But if you can find your own entertainment and enjoy the simple things, smaller cities and even towns have plenty of entertainment. Some of my most memorable entertaining moments happened in small towns in the middle of nowhere that my family stopped at on a long drive. I've been to my share of big cities too and I don't find them any more entertaining. I've been to New York City more than once and I lived an hour from Boston for 16 years. The town of 15,000 in Massachusetts where I lived provided me with plenty of entertainment. And some people say the small city I live in now has nothing to do, but I disagree.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Entertainment is such a vague word because different people find different things entertaining. I can see how a big city would have more built-in entertainment. But if you can find your own entertainment and enjoy the simple things, smaller cities and even towns have plenty of entertainment. Some of my most memorable entertaining moments happened in small towns in the middle of nowhere that my family stopped at on a long drive. I've been to my share of big cities too and I don't find them any more entertaining. I've been to New York City more than once and I lived an hour from Boston for 16 years. The town of 15,000 in Massachusetts where I lived provided me with plenty of entertainment. And some people say the small city I live in now has nothing to do, but I disagree.
Yeah I find plenty of things to do in Tucson, Arizona.

I actually prefer Tucson over anything else.

But what I think people mean by "big cities have more entertainment" is probably shopping, fashion, night life, clubs, bars, & stuff of that sort...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Then small cities are for you? Just your opinion....

been to vs. living in... is generally different, different lifestyles become possible in both if one chooses to do so.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Cities like NYC and SF are composed of a few 1000 yuppies and millions of poors

Upscale restaurants and bars are useful to single yuppies on a daily basis, so many in SF will actually drive 35+mis each-way to their suburban office to have such daily "entertainment" nr their residence

Most major cos. are based in distant suburbs (consider SiliconValley) and most workers w/kids prefer to reside in suburbs close to their suburban offices and nr semi-decent public schools

And many suburbanites rarely visit the alleged "big city" except for occasional dinners at a fancy restaurant (or to commute to office for those unfortunates who work in Manhattan or Chic's Loop)

TV, Net, online shopping, etc have made cities the stuff of Luddite tourists from Podunk, who don't realize where most owners and decisionmakers of major economies actually live, work and play (largely leafy suburbs >30mis from "the city")

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Oh, poor hsw, still fighting the good fight on behalf the dull wealthy suburbanites who can't imagine a life existing beyond building value of their hedge fund are ya? Do you ever tire?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Big city entertainment - to me - means a wide choice of galleries, museums, theatre companies, live concerts/musicals. It means a wide choice of restaurants, bars, clubs and a much wider range of shops of all kinds.

I now live in a medium size town (I guess medium size - 35,000 people) - we have one art gallery, one museum (only open Mon-Fri during the day), and one theatre company (which only has performances a few weeks of the year). Only second rate performers ever play concerts here (usually elderly 1960's singers that no-one actually remembers). We have one Japanese restaurant, one Indian restaurant and just a handful of others.

I'm very happy living in this town, but do miss the level of entertainment offered by the big city I used to live in.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I find plenty of things to do in Tucson, Arizona.

I actually prefer Tucson over anything else.

But what I think people mean by "big cities have more entertainment" is probably shopping, fashion, night life, clubs, bars, & stuff of that sort...

Thing about Tucson is if you want big city fashion Phoenix is only like 2 hours away they have a pretty good selection of shopping Tucson is getting more though La Encantada is fairly new and has a pretty good selection of Stores

La Encantada | Home -

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Honestly, I think that statement has to do with sex more than anything else. As in, cities that have more people have more opportunities for "hooking up" or people watching than smaller towns. Whether that means more bars, clubs, retail, parks, etc., etc., etc....

Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Big name acts (music, comedy, theater, etc), night life, big events (parades, street markets, etc), major league sports, large museums and galleries, etc. I also agree it's about having a wide range of these things. Small towns may offer small, local options of any/all these things but in my experience, it's not as frequent and you don't get a wide variety.

I strongly disagree it is mostly about sex. Big cities may offer more dating options, more options to find the right person. Maybe for some people it's about sex but it's not like everyone living in the city are all sex-crazed fiends just looking to get laid all the time. What about all the people who are happily in a relationship, not looking to cheat, who love living in the city?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:40 AM

314 posts, read 414,436 times
usually theres more to do. new york for examaple live shows ,loads of shops, plenty of venders, parks as well. maybe just seeing everyone out ,and adout. small places are good to nice ,and quiet.

Last edited by mask of thought; 06-22-2010 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.