Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

...BESIDES NYC and Los Angeles?

I'm curious what are some other cities out there with a strong or even decent entertainment/media scene? Cities with some sort of thriving television, movie, publishing, or new media industries (not including music, journalism/news, or magazine industry)? Looking to move out of Chicago and hope to land a job in one of these industries and am just trying to brainstorm idea of where to move. I've already spent six weeks in L.A. and wasn't 100% enamored with it though I know chances are huge that I may eventually end up there anyway, though I'd like to hope L.A. isn't the only option out there. Looking at almost all options, including international ones. Some ideas I've come up with:

-Atlanta: major network hub
-Boston: my original hometown seems to be home to quite a few publishers
-Vancouver: seems like quite a few productions are filmed up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Atlanta (TNT, TBS, CNN, BET, African American entertainment-oriented), Toronto (lots of filming, hub of Canadian entertainment industry), Miami (more Latin media), Vancouver (lots of filming there), and San Francisco (esp. as it relates to new media)...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Detroit has a decent movie production scene. 2009 -2010 was far more active but this year has been mostly quiet. Next year it's supposed to pick back up but I'm not sure the movies will be up to the same size. Movies like Gran Torino, Red Dawn, and Transformers were filmed here. I'm sure other cities are more active and slightly more diverse, but it's worth keeping an eye on in at least a year.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Two underdogs for film making:

Austin, Texas

Shreveport, Louisiana

Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Wilmington NC is known for its film industry. Knoxville TN has HGTV and a number of independant video production firms.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Washington DC sees a considerable amount of News production, some TV and Movie filming (difficult for obvious reasons) as well as Documentaries, annual Awards Shows and seasonal viewing events (4th of July, Christmas, elections/inauguration). After NYC and LA, DC is probably the most active media market in the US.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
If anyone is interested in a film-making contest that could win you a prize, you might check this out.

The Cabin in the Woods Competition on Vimeo

I was looking at a site for lighthouse keepers and saw this site posted there. It's a contest for film-making. I don't have the equipment to do it, nor the creativity but thought someone who does, might want to enter the contest. Good til the end of October this year. Not only could you win a 10K prize but you might be discovered as the next great movie producer.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Atlanta (TNT, TBS, CNN, BET, African American entertainment-oriented)
Atlanta also has:

1. the new EUE/Screen Gems studio complex (Atlanta | EUE Screen Gems | EUE Screen Gems)

2. Tyler Perry Studios (Tyler Perry Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

3. additional Turner Broadcasting divisions (in addition to TNT/TBS/CNN) like TCM, Cartoon Network, Headline News, NBA-TV, etc.

4. Cox Enterprises headquarters - the third largest cable tv service provider in the U.S. that also publishes more than a dozen daily newspapers across the country and owns 15 tv stations and 86 radio stations (Cox Enterprises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

5. The Weather Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wea...(United_States)

6. a long list of movies and television shows that are/were either filmed in Atlanta or are/were set in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.