Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM

53 posts, read 104,773 times

Advertisements

what are the top 5 cities that you can hardly go a day without hearing
The name mentioned on the news, on tv shows, movies, music, talkshows, reality tv etc...

1. NYC ( why of course... duh it's the center of the universe)
2. Los Angeles ( Hollywood)
3. Washington, D.C. ( Political news) tied with Chicago
4. Atlanta ( Weather Channel, CNN, Real Housewives)
5. Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
1.New York City
2.Los Angeles
3.Washington D.C.
4.Chicago
5.Miami
6.Atlanta

7-14 (Not in order):
Honolulu, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston,

Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM

10,111 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Dc, nyc, la

Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
1. Washington, D.C.
2. New York
3. Los Angeles
4. Nashville
5. Las Vegas
6. Chicago
7. New Orleans
8. Kansas City

I put Nashville since I listen to country music a lot and CMT is based there and all the overnight broadcasts always say "Music City USA, Nashville, Tennessee."

New Orleans because of the food.....so many dishes in restaurants and packaged foods say things like New Orleans-style this and that

Kansas City - you see the KC Masterpiece potato chips and barbecue sauce daily dont you???

Key West - key lime pie

Others - Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami

I never really hear about Honolulu much, or Boston. THough Chicago and Miami have TV shows set there. People who listen to Latin music are probably hearing about Miami more, and you always see commercials in the wintertime for Miami.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
1. New York: so many news and sports broadcasts are from here. Tons of shows and movies are set here. Seems like whenever I turn on the tv or read the news NYC is being mentioned or shown. To me, it is the default background of an American city.

2. DC: the news always talks about DC b/c of the politics. Everything about the President or Congress involves DC in some way. Also, all the federal agencies like the IRS, FCC, FDA, etc are in the news a lot. Plus I live pretty close so I tend to read the Washington Post which has lots of local news.

3. LA: As the center of the entertainment industry, this is always being discussed. For people who watch more entertainment type shows (rather than political/sports like me) this would be #2 or possibly even #1.

After those three there is a big dropoff and I think the amount of exposure the cities get is probably dependant on where you live and what types of entertainment and news you prefer. Trying to keep a generalized national perspective I'd say these cities are all in the next tier:

Chicago is in the news a good bit b/c of its size, b/c of Obama and b/c of the popularity of its sports teams.

Boston get a lot of buzz b/c of its sports team and sometimes b/c of educational institutions and all the research that happens there.

San Francisco/San Jose: Silicon Valley is in the tech news all the time, and San Francisco has a high profile in fiction.

Atlanta gets some mention b/c of CNN, the Weather Channel, TNT, etc.

Miami is a popular setting for fiction, but I don't actually here that much news about the city in real life (except the endless coverage of Lebron and the Miami Heat).

Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 96,012 times
1- NYC (center of media, wall street)
2- DC (all the political news)
3-LA (entertainment)

-

4- CHI (size, Obama, sports, business)
5- Bay Area (Silicon Valley tech stories)
6- Boston (sports, R&D)
7-Atlanta (CNN, center of black culture)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.