Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM

254 posts, read 586,992 times

Advertisements

I don't know if many of you guys have heard the Global Deejay's song they play a lot in the club.

Here is the YouTube link to it:

YouTube - Global Deejays - The Sound of San Francisco...Remix

The cities mentioned in the song are:

Paris, London, L.A., Chicago, Tokyo, Bagdad, New York, Moscow, Memphis, Capetown, Dallas, Amsterdam, Boston, Berlin, San Francisco

I hear Memphis and I am wondering how the hell did it get on this list. No disrespect to the city but its definitely not in the same league as the others in the list. Am I missing something here? I would find it hard to believe that foreigners outside of the US have heard of it.

Last edited by Bo; 10-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Removed inline image, since it contained a word that's on the banned list at City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Memphis is the most mentioned city in modern music...if that helps in any way.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Most mentioned? Is that an assumption or is their truth to that?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 PM

254 posts, read 586,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Other than that Cher song and the fact that it was the site where Elvis had died, how does it live it to the level of the other cities?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Most mentioned? Is that an assumption or is their truth to that?
No, it's not true...I just made it up.

I've run across statistics on it before, but I don't remember if there is any official data on the subject. Here are a couple of comments on websites I just found:

Quote:
Earlier this year, the Smithsonian Rock N Soul Museum posted a list on its website of 899 recorded songs that mention the city of Memphis, citing it as the most mentioned city in pop songs.
Modern Memphis Songs | Music Features | Memphis Flyer

Quote:
It is often said that Memphis is the city most often mentioned in popular songs.
Memphis Entertainment: Find more Memphis information at Marriott.com

Quote:
The American city of (BLANK) is most-mentioned in pop music lyrics.
Memphis
6:50 Trivia with Pat and Bob |

Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Other than that Cher song and the fact that it was the site where Elvis had died, how does it live it to the level of the other cities?
I don't know HOW...but it's pretty common knowledge.

It's not about song TITLES...but that the city is mentioned in many songs. Songs like Proud Mary by Tina Turner...Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2...Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-31-2009 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
How is it that anyone even knows what the hell that song is?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Its musical history is legendary. No music historian could talk about American music without mentioning Memphis.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I think they just picked random cities off a list... they certainly aren't electronic music hubs... or someone a true "global dj" would frequent.

usually ones mentioned are la sf chicago nyc miami dubai london berlin detroit ibiza mykonos ...you get the idea

lots of those ARE clubbing hot spots however, with exception of memphis... and not sure why dallas is there either, boston and bagdad not so much either, but boston to baghdad is a common phrase...

all of these have been on global underground label releases
paris, london, l.a., new york, cape town, moscow, amsterdam, san francisco, tokyo... so I can see why they would be in the song.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
That's actually really funny, because I love this song and it always struck me that they included not only Memphis, but also Dallas and Baghdad.

There's really no reason for the most part, they just picked cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis