Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why so many people seem to get so offended when one offers opinions on the state that they do not like?

No opinion in my opinion is objective but there seems to alot of people who tend to think their opinion is superior to others.

My favorite is when one gives the excuse well you just dont live in the right area of town and your opinion is skewed. I think thats a given and in my personal opinion the neighborhood people live in skews people's opinion of
the city or state they live in.

Anyway, Being from Colorado I love Denver but I like reading other people's opinions on Denver and the experiences and opinions they have in the area in which they live or lived. Some people absolutely loathe Denver and some people love it but I enjoy reading all the opinions people have.

Does any one else here think people seem to get way too offended when one is critical of the city or state in which they live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM

638 posts, read 974,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering why so many people seem to get so offended when one offers opinions on the state that they do not like?

No opinion in my opinion is objective but there seems to alot of people who tend to think their opinion is superior to others.

My favorite is when one gives the excuse well you just dont live in the right area of town and your opinion is skewed. I think thats a given and in my personal opinion the neighborhood people live in skews people's opinion of

Anyway, Being from Colorado I love Denver but I like reading other people's opinions on Denver and the experiences and opinions they have in the area in which they live or lived. Some people absolutely loathe Denver and some people love it but I enjoy reading all the opinions people have.

Does any one else here think people seem to get way too offended when one is critical of the city or state in which they live?
I guess it depends on how you justify your opinion.

There's this poster on the Iowa forum who makes sweeping generalizations about Iowans and tries to make them sound like "facts" when they're just "opinions". And then when people get all riled up he'll state something like "You're Iowans so you'll never admit it." That's only going to stir up trouble.

Then there are people who spew out venom and hatred towards a place and those who live there because of a few bad experiences they had and there for the entire city/state is like that. If you look at the patterns in their posts you'll see that they live on opportunities to be negative and close-minded about EVERYTHING. I usually think that these people are 8 years old or something. LOL

But I think that as long as you justify your opinion in a rational and/or constructive way and make it clear that it's just your opinion then I don't see a problem with it. If people still get all riled up about it then just ignore them. It's their problem, not yours.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Yes. I get bashed all the time in the San Antonio, Texas forum for stating my opinions and experiences. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to defend your opinion and you just sit at the computer shaking your head - and reloading that gun! LOL

Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes. I get bashed all the time in the San Antonio, Texas forum for stating my opinions and experiences. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to defend your opinion and you just sit at the computer shaking your head - and reloading that gun! LOL
Have had that experience as well, but I don't carry a gun! LOL. Some forums are worse than others for bashing. Denver, Colorado, and Illinois are pretty good. Some others that I post on can be awful, and they make you (me) feel awful. People will use inflammatory language (stupid, retarded, etc), sarcasm and post links to prove their point that don't prove much of anything. The only way to avoid their venom is to quit posting, and sometimes I don't want to do that.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
There is a difference between someone who simply prefers one place over another and some of the brain donors that occasional post mindless vitriol dismissing the entire 9 million population of your metro areas as (insert whatever their problem is here). It isn't so much hate one feels but pity and revulsion, sort of similar to the feeling one gets looking a picture of Paris Hilton

I usually have to suppress the urge to do to the message board equivalent of pointing and laughing whenever these morons show up, because I know that if I do, I'm just sinking to their level.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
To me, it seems like everyone has loyal ties to his/her native area, or newfound area. We ALL are guilty of defending our areas, because theyre, well, home. And home is where the heart is in most cases, right? Some people take the offensive when getting defensive and in turn blatantly bash other cities/states/countries, calling their inhabitants "stupid", "ignorant", "obnoxious", "racist", etc, etc, etc, etc.... THATS when the gloves come off and rash arguments brew over the brim. I dont have a problem with people defending their areas, BUT, they better bring the facts to the table if they want to play games, cuz alot of us on here are avid travelers (myself included) and have seen every corner of this country, several times over, and we know what were talking about. LOL I just dont like when people bash other cities when theyve never even been there, basing their opinions on rumors, etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
I think people are primarily offended when others make rude, uncalled for remarks that are meant only to insult and offend. There are also a lot of people who are completely misinformed about an area and have never lived or visited an area that extensively (or ever) who try to come off as if they know what they are talking about when they don't. That can be annoying. It's usually easy to detect who these people are because they'll say something stupid and idiotic or will make some general, very cliche observation that they heard or read in the media or on a discussion board like this.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Who would do such a thing?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Quote:

I really couldn't care much if no one liked my city. Even though it's a popular elite city, it's not very popular amongst the average, grass-roots population. But I think that if someone says you weren't in the right part of town during your stay, maybe they're just suggesting that there's another part of the city you didn't see that might have been to your liking. Also, maybe the part you got to see possibly skewed your judgement of the entire place.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it gets way out of hand sometimes. I have stopped offering advice on certain states because some of the people are down right vile. I tried to offer some advice to someone from my old hometown and watched 11 pages of bickering start up because of pointing out positives in other states.

I truly think there are some of us on here that take it a bit too seriously. It is evident by some of the posts. If you were talking face to face to some of the people here, would you honestly ramble and bash someone directly?

Then on the other hand, some of the nicest and most helpful people are here. They are willing to help out and get you correct info when you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.