Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I have actually thought seriously about moving to Canada in the past but the main issue that has scared me away from doing so is the cold weather. When I go back to school for my PhD however, I'm researching the possibility of doing it in another country and will research possibly doing it in Canada in addition to multiple other countries, either in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver, to give me a taste of what life is like up there for a few years.
All three of those cities are very multicultural. You might find either Vancouver or Montreal more interesting that Toronto. U of T is fairly nice looking but I hear it's extra competative and not very friendly. York U, also in Toronto might be more friendly, but it's a pretty ugly campus. I thought it looked like a penitentiary missing barbed wire fencing.

Montreal has several universities and it seems to be a friendlier and more fun place to be. It also has world class snowskiing/snowboarding within an hour or two. But it's also the city where our two isolated mass shooting incedents have occured.

Vancouver I think has a few universities. It's quite mild, January's avg. high is 43 F and is surrounded by coastal rainforest, huge trees and mountains. I hear some of the Pacific beaches are nice even though the water's cold. It has some of the finest skiing/snowboarding in Canada within an hour or two drive. Ever heard of "Whistler B.C."?

Sorry I don't know much about the universities in the other cities. BTW I never heard of cedar itch...

Chirscja, are you still here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Working in the U.S. on a student visa?...

Also I don't know who said it, but I don't believe that getting a student visa to the U.S. allows you to legally work there. A friend of mine went to a college in Missouri and because he only had a student visa, he told me he wasn't legally able to work there. He needed a job, so someone cut him a deal letting him to yardwork/landscaping for his school and they paid him a small hourly rate in cash.

All rumours of course, but I think I saw the same thing when I looked online at the different U.S. visas, which is one of the reasons I never tried to pursue it.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
OH My!!!! Well, at least we have ONE nice Canadian on here. And of course, that'd be Cold Canadian.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OH My!!!! Well, at least we have ONE nice Canadian on here. And of course, that'd be Cold Canadian.
ColdCanadian is definitely a good guy! I agree!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Thank you Jammie and MoMark!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ex: When you buy a Lowenbrau bottle of beer, the label says it was made in Germany and it was imported here. My dad had a bottle of Lowenbrau in the U.S. and it tasted different, so he looked at the label and found it was brewed and bottled in the U.S. Why, I have no clue.
We are not allowed to have the real stuff so the beer is watered down here. Probably some idiotic prohibition law.

But you can order beer from overseas or online in most states, so you are limited by what distributors carry in your state or your state laws regarding shipping alcohol to your address. NY, for example, will allow you to ship alcohol purchased online to your home. MA will not.

I order online from Randall's internet wines and spirits and am able to get Tequilla that is rare and not sold anywhere in the North East. They also sell different beers - from Germany. So I don't complain too much LOL!

What really bunges my shorts is that we cannot get "real" cuban cigars. I would flip to be able to buy my husband some Siglio (sp?) cigars. But the CAO Soprano cigars make up for that a bit.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
We are not allowed to have the real stuff so the beer is watered down here. Probably some idiotic prohibition law.

What really bunges my shorts is that we cannot get "real" cuban cigars. I would flip to be able to buy my husband some Siglio (sp?) cigars. But the CAO Soprano cigars make up for that a bit.
For the first point, that sucks! Pretty much any beer here is still weaker than any kind of wine. Sounds like the problem is people's attitudes to what beer should or shouldn't be. Like people expecting to be able to drink a six-pack and only have a light buzz, but most people would not be surprised to be a little drunk after a whole bottle of wine.

You can buy real Cuban cigars! Just take a vacation in Canada! We have pleny of cigar specialty shops with cigars from all over the world.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 AM

17 posts, read 21,720 times
Hey guys I lost the thread and just found it again... lol

I am looking for jobs in America at the moment through www.monster.com under internation job listing from the UK but I don't seem to be having much luck. If I cant find one I'll be going to Vancouver B.C. as I have family there and it looks really cool.

Thanks for the help

(Just thought id let you know what was going on )

Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 AM

17 posts, read 21,720 times
No Luck with immigration info to the US. Does anyone know any possible way I can emmigrate to the US? I am a skilled worker in Computing.

I don't suppose there are any employers that take on people from England?.

Any help appreciated (I don't want to be stuck in the UK for the rest of my life)

Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
You could if you find an employer who would be willing to sponsor you or you marry one of us. It is easier to try and go to Canada, IMO.

I don't know why you would be stuck in the UK though. You have the entire EU. I wish I had a EU passport sometimes. No hope of that through Germany though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.