Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times

Advertisements

"will be very hard for it to improve because there is a mentality here that public transportation is for poor people. Cars are an important part of most peoples identity down here. Keep in mind it can get pretty hot here too. Birminghamians are tempted to take their car when they visit their next door neighbors. lol It's really not that uncommon for people to drive to their mailbox....if the drive way is a little long or steep."

I seem to recall many years ago that Birmingham's public bus system went broke and the city leaders did nothing to find more money for it for a long time (months? years?). It became the biggest city in the US without a public transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
What city, in your opinion, is most livable in the deep south.

meaning...
walkable
transit options bike, bus, train etc..
reasonalbe housing cost (say between 150k to 350k for a 1500sf house in said area)
some history (not necessary to livablity, but a strong asset)
good schools
safe
etc
etc

to make it more interesting...
devide into 3 population sizes...

Metro with 1,000,000+
Metro with 100,000 to 999,999
and Metro with <100,000
Atlanta, Georgia.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I wouldn't classify New Orleans as the deep south. No more than Houston would be.
It is more of a city that is deep south than Houston is. But Louisiana is not looked at as a state in the deep south. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina is.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 PM

127 posts, read 747,922 times
From our recent trip, I would say Athens, GA and Asheville, NC.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It is more of a city that is deep south than Houston is. But Louisiana is not looked at as a state in the deep south. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina is.
Deep south is not about location, to me. It's about values and attitudes. New Orleans is just New Orleans.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Louisiana not looked at as a state in the Deep South? That's a new one for me. While it may have a slightly western flavor to it, I would say it has more in common with Mississippi than Texas, and therefore is part of the Deep South, although I would probably say it is the westernmost part of the Deep South. Louisiana and Arkansas IMO are the westernmost truly Southern states. Whether Arkansas is part of the Deep South or not is open to debate...I say it is the Upper South since it did not immediately secede, although it certainly is like a state of the Deep South in the sense that it has no large cities which are experiencing the boom effect of the south and that it is very poor like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Anyway...New Orleans, while geographically in the Deep South, is a very unique city. Houston I'm not sure what to call....I would argue for it being both in the Deep South and the Southwest at the same time.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Louisiana not looked at as a state in the Deep South? That's a new one for me. While it may have a slightly western flavor to it, I would say it has more in common with Mississippi than Texas, and therefore is part of the Deep South, although I would probably say it is the westernmost part of the Deep South. Louisiana and Arkansas IMO are the westernmost truly Southern states. Whether Arkansas is part of the Deep South or not is open to debate...I say it is the Upper South since it did not immediately secede, although it certainly is like a state of the Deep South in the sense that it has no large cities which are experiencing the boom effect of the south and that it is very poor like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Anyway...New Orleans, while geographically in the Deep South, is a very unique city. Houston I'm not sure what to call....I would argue for it being both in the Deep South and the Southwest at the same time.
I agree. Houston has some Southern overtones, but NOLA is definitely Deep South.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I agree. Houston has some Southern overtones, but NOLA is definitely Deep South.
Yes...absolutely. New Orleans may be a very unique city, but it definitely does have the culture of the Deep South if you look for it. New Orleans is 100% Southern and part of the Deep South.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Because back in the day, the deep south usually was looked at the four states I mentioned. It is sometimes looked at as a deep south state though.

Sometimes it's known as deep south, sometimes it's not. And East Texas has alot in common with Louisiana. But the majority of Texas doesn't.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Deep south is not about location, to me. It's about values and attitudes. New Orleans is just New Orleans.
I know that. And New Orleans shares many of those values and attitudes along with the deep south but they have their own flavor to it because they've been around a bit longer than just about every city in the south. Houston shares values and some, not all, attitudes with New Orleans but it doesn't share it with the rest of the deep south. That's why it's hard to pinpoint Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.