Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I would just like to say that if anything is boring it is Los Angeles. That is the largest suburb in the world, seriously. Lacking architecture. Lacking innovation. The only thing that made California even boom was a gold rush, pretty beaches, and the movies. Besides that the people themselves didn't make it that unique THEMSELVES. You wanna talk about being boring, look at California, really. Outside of New York City, New York is pretty much a lacking state as well.

Let me inform you that most of the history(underground railroad), art (Jazz music, hip hop), transformational American themes (we're talking big names like Michael Jackson), food (bubble gum, potato chips, hamburger) and pure ingenous (airplane, cash register, computer, modern internet, skyscraper) came from the midwest. Thats a very small list, too. More patents for inventions have come from the midwest than any other part of the country. The midwest has grown naturally, not because of other government afiliiated elements. People are happy here despite tough times and people stick to there VALUES. Just because you lack any idea of the midwest actually is doesn't mean you can spout your mouth off. So, go ahead. Enjoy the increasing cost of living and high taxes of California and New York. But New York and California have not truly defined what America is like the midwest has.

Have you ever lived in Southern California? or NY? I have. I have also lived in Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

How do you mean NY and Ca are lacking? Move states are more beautiful than anywhere in the Cornbelt. Yeah times are tough but almpost everyone I know is stlil working (ironically I can't find a job in Saint Louis, but I am able to telecommute to Southern California(.

I am currently living in the Saint Louis Area.

I think I can make a fair judgment.

Yep it is cheap here. But the value of my house may go up 30K over 5 years. I can spend 400K on a house in Ca and pretty much know that in 5 years the value of that home will probably increase 100K. Even in this economic climate.

Except for Michael Jackson and the Internet (which was more of national startup) almost everything you mentioned is over 100 years old. I also gave mentioned that Chicago is the exception to the boring midwest.

Family values are pretty much the same in NY, CA and the Midwest. Slmost everyone wants the best for their family. Contrary to what you see on MTV, orange county is not populated by snobby kids with absentee or enabling parents.

To say the midwest has a lock on "old fashioned family values" is just ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,606,552 times
Because of cities like this:

YouTube - Community Video: Rocky River, OH

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

872 posts, read 1,703,800 times
I hope the Midwest rebounds. There's lots of very kind people in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.