Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM

23 posts, read 159,777 times

Advertisements

Ok i saw another topic called "Top 300 Worst Places to Live" so i decided to make BEST one tell us in your opinion, what are the best places to live in the usa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
In my opinion, and this is just from my own traveling and experiences and I haven't seen all of America:
-San Francisco, California
-Pasadena, California
-San Diego, California
-Henderson/Las Vegas, Nevada
-Springfield, Missouri
-Seattle, Washington
-Salem, Oregon
-Newport, Rhode Island

Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Cumberland Gap region of Kentucky!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 AM

for me:

San Diego, CA

i still have way more traveling to do

Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Sterling, Alaska 99672...is...the...best place to live!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 PM

47 posts, read 347,718 times
Default European life and American life, a europeans perspective.

Hello everyone my name is Paul 34 I am English from Clifton in Bristol but work in Zurich Switzerland as a consultant and live in Nice on Mont boron which is close to monaco on the mediteranean on the french riviera, quite complicated I know. I previously lived in central london. I was interested in making a post about life in america and sharing with you life in europe as an insight. some of my comments below are generalisations but they are a general reflection of the places that I have lived, perhaps life over the pond is interesting for you.

I thought I would share with you what Life in Europe is like and the setup is like from the areas that I have mentioned, maybe the contrast is interesting. People in europe and america all seem to be mulling over the toughts can life be better elsewhere, a new state or country, increasing costs, crime, a life less stressful and life changes etc. Heres a brief skim of things.

Firstly on the posts that I have read everyone seems very concerned about gangs and crime in america and personal safety and the old question where is the best place to live.

Europe. *nice, zurich, bristol uk and london and the south of france*
> Crime is very low and you never worry about it anywhere, listed above. Absolute rarity, not even worth mentioning, and such you never feel aprehensive anywhere.

Property and homes, this is a dissapointment for a lot of people in europe it is so expensive its unbelievable some americans would have a heart attack, what you get for your money is not that much here. Average working families on the property ladder now that have had homes from 5 to 10 years plus are in big built up areas are american currency millionaires or quickly approaching it, if they sold up or cashed the equity they have. Most young people will now never get on the property ladder and most people also could not afford to buy now the homes they presently live in at todays prices.

We dont have as wonderful homes like you as a working family comparison as a general rule 250,000 or say 600,000 dollars or even 1mill will get you a lot in america, but will not get you much at all here all over, nice places start at 1,200,000 million USd here as a general rule, next to central hub towns again mentioned above same uk, switzerland and france.

Taxes and the big brother state are really gearing up here in europe all over UK in particular, many people in uk are fed up with benefit cheats from the state which all the hardworking people pay huge taxes for its pretty much 45% gone in france its 50% on stoppages are source on your salary. CARS, HOMES are expensive charges and taxes on homes are rising but everything else is quite cheap even to a degree car insurance.

People here generally are not as networky chatty or engaging as amerian people are. Britain these days is referred to as rip off britian scores of people are fed up and leaving for a new life else where, the really polite stereo typical english elegant language is fast disapearing, and britian does fear its loosing its identity, one gentlement commented in a TV chat show progam about leaving england - I never left britain it left me. House prices are beyond most people, they have introduced scores and scores of stealth taxes, even taxing people with a nice views, or nice home features. It really is putting normal people under pressure hence making them less happy, everyone wants a nice home. What is good though is a summers day in england its heavenly.

Zurich is the centre for banking and industry wages are astronomical but you have to be good to be foreign and work here to be let in, you need special permits, blood tests, and to be highly qualified or experienced in your field. If you loose your job here weather you are an external consultant on temporary assigment or have a permanent job you get 80% of your salary for 2 years if you loose your job after 1 year. No crime here, there are more guns here than in texas every male has a machine gun at home and 52 bullets they all do national service, there are very strict controls.

Nice and the surrounding area in south of france is amazing the best restaurants, concerts, beautiful mediteranean sea, wonderful homes and architecture, the landscape is beautiful, Monaco, antieb and cannes are close by and are also fun, italy is 20 mins away and you can drive there for dinner after work.

What I love about america is the homes, cost of living, swiming pools, tennis, pine forests, divercity and the people and barbques, and all the wonderfull sports.

Last edited by Paul74; 01-26-2007 at 11:26 PM..

Old 01-27-2007, 06:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
IMO, the Piedmont and western regions of NC/SC, and eastern TN. Very, very beautiful areas with wonderful standards of living. Wouldn't live anywhere else!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Based on where I've been, I'd say the best places to live are:

San Francisco, CA (what's not to love?)
Dallas, TX (Great city, great food, great people)
Fountain Hills, AZ (Love it there, one word- breathtaking)
New York City, NY (you have to love the big apple)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL (if you love the water...)

There are many more but these are definetly my top 5.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_miss View Post
for me:

San Diego, CA

i still have way more traveling to do
Are you actually Swiss, or is that just your favorite hot chocolate drink? I'd love to go see Switzerland, my parents were from there.

I suppose Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Boston are my favorite big cities.

Some nice smaller cities and villages: Mt Shasta CA, Northampton and Amherst MA, Madison WI, Arcata CA, Williamstown MA, Brattleboro VT.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Are you actually Swiss, or is that just your favorite hot chocolate drink? I'd love to go see Switzerland, my parents were from there.

I suppose Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Boston are my favorite big cities.

Some nice smaller cities and villages: Mt Shasta CA, Northampton and Amherst MA, Madison WI, Arcata CA, Williamstown MA, Brattleboro VT.
haha no im not swiss, i just like the hot chocolate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.