Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times

Advertisements

I know people like to move to the warmer climates but do people move because they like the winters?

I've always I said I'd move down south but being that I've grown up in areas that are known for having a good snow fall, it's hard for me to leave those areas.

I really like and enjoy winter weather. That's what I'd miss if I moved to say, Houston or Savannah.

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Definitely, some people want a cold, snowy climate because they enjoy winter sports. But day to day comfort is often the deciding factor & why the "Sun Belt" states are so popular.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
My friend moved from Long Island to a small ski-resort town in Colorado. She can't get enough of the cold and snow. Not enough for her here, lol. She always talks about how she hates summer.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
I moved from Southern California to Colorado.

I wanted to live somewhere it snows.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
I do.
I plan on going north for college (Albany/Plattsburgh NY) because I prefer a more cooler climate.

A mid June night dipping into the 50s is Ideal for me.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I know people like to move to the warmer climates but do people move because they like the winters?

I've always I said I'd move down south but being that I've grown up in areas that are known for having a good snow fall, it's hard for me to leave those areas.

I really like and enjoy winter weather. That's what I'd miss if I moved to say, Houston or Savannah.

Ron
I think what the OP meant was do people move to warm places because they like how the winters are warm there?

That's one of the reasons why I moved from New England to Southern New Mexico. Also, I don't mind the summers because I like heat (in fact, I'd rather have consistent heat than have days in the 60s which is what happened in New England this summer). People that like the cold would have a hard time understanding this, but a 60 degree winter day is a dream come true for a lot of people that grew up with snow and hated it.

Why have you said you'd move South if you like living somewhere cold?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I think the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, Idaho, and Montana get a fair amount of transplants. If I were to move I'd like somewhere cold or at least with mild Summers.

I'd actually just like somewhere cold, ideally, but the downside is I'm scared of car accidents so places where the roads get icy aren't that appealing to me. I think parts of Idaho and Montana are fairly dry though so I sometimes dream about living there. I used to dream of Alaska more, but it's a bit too snowy and icy I think.

Anyway generally speaking I think people who want cold also want some place where the cold is scenic. Like there are glaciers, mountains, or lovely lakes. A place that's cold and kind of flat is generally not desired, hence North Dakota I don't think is popular for transplants.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I think what the OP meant was do people move to warm places because they like how the winters are warm there?

That's one of the reasons why I moved from New England to Southern New Mexico. Also, I don't mind the summers because I like heat (in fact, I'd rather have consistent heat than have days in the 60s which is what happened in New England this summer). People that like the cold would have a hard time understanding this, but a 60 degree winter day is a dream come true for a lot of people that grew up with snow and hated it.

Why have you said you'd move South if you like living somewhere cold?
The OP meant what he/she said which is, do people leave warmer climates to live in cooler climates due to personal preference?
~

"People that like the cold would have a hard time understanding this, but a 60 degree winter day is a dream come true for a lot of people that grew up with snow and hated it."

Do you honestly believe that people who like the cold can't understand that? People complain about a cold day anywhere, even in Florida.
People who like the cold are minorities compared to the people who prefer the heat, I would think the people who love the heat have a harder time understanding why people prefer the cold... that's just me.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:04 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The OP meant what he/she said which is, do people leave warmer climates to live in cooler climates due to personal preference?
That's not what he said. He said this: I know people like to move to the warmer climates but do people move because they like the winters?

His wording makes it unclear what exactly he means. However, he never said anything about leaving warmer climates.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
I understood what the poster meant.

When I was younger, I used to always want to move north because it never snowed here. I hated that. Especially on days where we would get a cold rain JUST above freezing.. Nothing is worse than 33-38 degrees and raining. All day. Just snow already! ..That is not to say it never snows here. It does, it is just very rare. Accumulating snow is even more rare. I think the last time snow collected on the ground here was 1996.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Yes, I would relocate to a city with a colder climate because of the seasonal changes. For now though, I travel north and visit in the winter (while everyone else travels south). Nothing beats seeing the bottom of Niagara Falls completely frozen. Not much anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.