Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times

Advertisements

I'm so frustrated. We moved out of Florida right before it turned all tree huggy. Yay. We found a great community of less than 200 people in a very rural, gorgeous area of TN. In love!!!

But man, the politics here are turning all liberal now. No guns in bars or restaurants or state parks. Gah!!! Don't get me wrong, no idiot downing a 12 pack of Bud needs a gun. But not every person walking in a restaurant is going to drink. Hell, I've been in bars and not had a drink. I'm usually the DD. And state parks? We pass that brilliant law and the next day there was a robbery in one.

The criminals didn't obey your new law?? I'm shocked!! There were signs and everything.

They're also following the Al Gore / Global Warming BS trend which makes me violently ill. I'm fortunate that they've not taken prayer and corporal punishment out of our schools............ yet. But man, what's next?

I need to find a place I feel we belong. Is there any area of the country in the southeast that still holds true to what this country was intended to be? I'm not looking for hard core bible thumping. I'm not looking for racial or sex discrimination areas. I'm really very much a live and let live kind of person. I live my life in a way that I think is right - I'm kind to others and to animals. I don't dump oil in our waterways. I try very hard to not pass judgement on others. I do what I can to help my neighbors. My religion is mine and I don't try to push it on anyone else.

I value my country and honor those that make it great; our soldiers, our law enforcement, fire fighters, and paramedics. While I don't look forward to war, I'm not afraid to go to it if there is unjustice in the world and our help is needed. But when we do I feel we should go strong and end it quick; like pulling off a band-aid.

I don't like my second amendment rights trampled all over; that's a huge deal to me. I'm a very strong supporter of language, borders, culture. Immigration is a great thing - it made this wonderful country what it is. But it needs to be tightened up. Those that should be allowed to our country and are going through the channels the proper way are being held back. Those that we don't want or need are just walking right across the border.

I'm a proud person and I work damn hard for what I have and I expect others to do so as well. I do not believe in the welfare system, socialized medicine, or any other government sponsored programs that suck people in and never let them go. I think we all fall on hard times and if we're doing all we can to work our way out, we should help each other through. Temporary assistance I have no problem with.

So, is there a place for us? Or do I need to start dumping sand off the bow of a boat in the Gulf and make my own island? And if that's the case and any of you out there would like to come live in my country, please contact me for an application!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 03:07 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Try Wyoming......

Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Oklahoma

Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Texas.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Does it have to be in the South? You might find something approaching the values you're looking for in South Dakota, in addition to other non-Southern places that have alread been suggested, like Wyoming. The Plains region in general will most likely have a lot of what you're looking for, though South Dakota seems to come the closest of any Plains state (no state income tax, no requirement of proof of firearms safety training for CCW permit).

For that matter, maybe even Alaska would work. They have no state income tax, are very gun-friendly (not too suprising if you consider the real potential for encounters with dangerous wildlife), and generally seem to favor the life of the rugged individualist.

If you'll consider areas outside the South, a maybe would be New Hampshire. Traditionally NH has been about individual rights, live and let live, small state government with emphasis on local government and the idea that local residents know the needs of their towns better than the state does. NH does not tax earned income, has no genral sales tax (but, in keeping with the emphasis on local govt., does have high property taxes), does not require firearms safety training to obtain a CCW permit. Something which keeps NH from being a libertarian's version of paradise is that they do regulate smoking in public places. What really makes NH iffy, however, is that it keeps showing signs of moving more to the left, having gone blue in the past couple of presidential elections, and having an influx of MA residents who have extended the Boston suburbs into southeastern NH.

In the South, I recently saw a thread here at C-D where a user said that Mississippi has no requirement for firearms safety training in order to obtain a CCW permit. At some point in the past year I saw a ranking of states for taxes. I think I recall Alabama listed as having fairly low taxes.

You might have to set some priorities here. There are some unusual combinations of the characteristics you do and do not want in a state. For example, Vermont is one of only two states which require no permit for CCW, Alaska being the other. However, Vermont would not be such a good fit for someone looking for low taxes and minimal welfare. You won't find any state where there are no taxes and no welfare. The Plains, some Southern states which do not have as many transplants as Florida, Alaska, and the interior West might be the best possibilities for getting as close as you can to your description of utopia.

Last edited by ogre; 11-22-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Wyoming is listed as the "least taxed" state going by one study. Louisiana looks to be, maybe, the least taxed for the South. Rapides Parish, Louisiana has a high amount of gun ownership. Northern Louisiana in general has a longer history of being Republican than the rest of the state.

//www.city-data.com/top2/co8.html

Since Reagan Ochiltree County, Texas has been one of the least Democratic counties in the nation. (The county went for Truman in a big way, but that was 60 years ago) They went strongly for Reagan.

Although Johnson County, Tennessee went strongly for Republicans from Calvin Coolidge to present. East Tennessee in general has been represented by Republicans since the nineteenth century. If that's the part of Tennessee you're in than there might not be many places too far to the right of it. Also "Conservative southern rural" is generally going to mean "Bible Belt."

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm so frustrated. We moved out of Florida right before it turned all tree huggy. Yay. We found a great community of less than 200 people in a very rural, gorgeous area of TN. In love!!!

But man, the politics here are turning all liberal now. No guns in bars or restaurants or state parks. Gah!!! Don't get me wrong, no idiot downing a 12 pack of Bud needs a gun. But not every person walking in a restaurant is going to drink. Hell, I've been in bars and not had a drink. I'm usually the DD. And state parks? We pass that brilliant law and the next day there was a robbery in one.

The criminals didn't obey your new law?? I'm shocked!! There were signs and everything.

They're also following the Al Gore / Global Warming BS trend which makes me violently ill. I'm fortunate that they've not taken prayer and corporal punishment out of our schools............ yet. But man, what's next?

I need to find a place I feel we belong. Is there any area of the country in the southeast that still holds true to what this country was intended to be? I'm not looking for hard core bible thumping. I'm not looking for racial or sex discrimination areas. I'm really very much a live and let live kind of person. I live my life in a way that I think is right - I'm kind to others and to animals. I don't dump oil in our waterways. I try very hard to not pass judgement on others. I do what I can to help my neighbors. My religion is mine and I don't try to push it on anyone else.

I value my country and honor those that make it great; our soldiers, our law enforcement, fire fighters, and paramedics. While I don't look forward to war, I'm not afraid to go to it if there is unjustice in the world and our help is needed. But when we do I feel we should go strong and end it quick; like pulling off a band-aid.

I don't like my second amendment rights trampled all over; that's a huge deal to me. I'm a very strong supporter of language, borders, culture. Immigration is a great thing - it made this wonderful country what it is. But it needs to be tightened up. Those that should be allowed to our country and are going through the channels the proper way are being held back. Those that we don't want or need are just walking right across the border.

I'm a proud person and I work damn hard for what I have and I expect others to do so as well. I do not believe in the welfare system, socialized medicine, or any other government sponsored programs that suck people in and never let them go. I think we all fall on hard times and if we're doing all we can to work our way out, we should help each other through. Temporary assistance I have no problem with.

So, is there a place for us? Or do I need to start dumping sand off the bow of a boat in the Gulf and make my own island? And if that's the case and any of you out there would like to come live in my country, please contact me for an application!! LOL
Would moving up the road to Kentucky be an option? That state has a reputation for hard work. And a few areas would be perfect for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Well, for starters, you're not in the most conservative part of Tennessee. You never were. Van Buren County has historically voted Democrat. You can stay in Tennessee but head east where it is strongly Republican. Try places like Greene County, Hawkins County, Carter County, McMinn County, Monroe County.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
Arizona. They embodied everything I hate about the conservative mentality, which means that you'll probably fit right in. Not even required to hide the guns you own - can carry them in broad daylight!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
In the 08 election Oklahoma went for McCain 65.6%, making it the most Republican state in the country that election cycle. Every single county in the state of Oklahoma went red, including the two urban counties (Oklahoma County 58% and Tulsa County 62%).

I also remember that Oklahoma passed one of the toughest anti illegal immigration bills, head over to that forum for the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.