Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but that area is usually not referred to as "the South" or "Southern" Those words refer only to the Southeast, not the Southwest. Just letting you know before you move there and think you're in the South.

I've even heard people in Northern NM refer to Southern NM as "down south", not cause its Southern like the Southeast but cause its down from the North and is in the Southern part of the state so it just makes sense I guess to say "down south"

a co-worker from Montana calls it down south here too, just cause its far South from MT I guess, I know she dosent think we are Southern or anything like that.

I wonder if all people up North say things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 AM

312 posts, read 910,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
Las Vegas sounds like everything you are looking for to me. I grew up there and it is a great place to be when your in your age group (more fun once you turn 21!). It is the most 24 hour city I know of! You can do almost everything at night you can do during the day. It is almost always sunny, very seldom rains and what not.

Phoenix is a good place too. I noticed someone said it wasn't liberal, but it actually is, the thing about Phoenix is it is full of the young (your age) and the old (retired), and old people vote more hence Sheriff Joe being elected. (Side note: I am VERY liberal and think Sheriff Joe is a kinda funny lol). Especially if you get closer to Tempe/ ASU area. There is lots to do around Phoenix, but it is not very 24 hour-y at least for restaurants (unless you go hang out at the gay denny's on 7th! thats always fun hehe).

Never lived in Albequerque but it snows there so that just checks it off my list lol. I want my deserts to be snow and rain free!! (Just how I stereotype it hehe)

As far as weather Vegas is hot and sunny or cold and sunny, not much deviation, I lived in Vegas for the first 18 years of my life and don't remember me nor my parents ever watching the weather. EVER.
Phoenix is almost the same except in late spring/early summer there is what they call "monsoon season" which bring HORRENDOUS dust storms and rains.

Phoenix also has some of the worst roads/traffic conditions I have seen (and I lived in LA area). Because the speed limits suck and the roads are two lanes (on each side) but for big lanes in a big city it isn't enough, and lots of traffic lights, and the retired people I mentioned early who take their sweet time!! Vegas is MUCH easier to drive in (as long as you avoid the strip and fremont) and of all the places I have lived does their construction in the timeliest manner! Plus Vegas has a pretty awesome bus system compared to Phoenix.
I never even though of Vegas to be honest.
I've always believed that the Strip is the only street there is,
and just a bunch of tourists and streetsellers trying to rip you off.
Do you have any cheap and good neighbourhoods you recommend there?
Where there is lots of locals not only fancy hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.