Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

I like Scallops in Boston (nearby New Bedford is the biggest scallop port in the U.S.). Chowder is great, but so common.

I LOVE New Haven's Pizza. Nowhere (not even NYC) does it quite like New Haven.

Chourico in Southeastern MA (Fall River/New Bedford) is excellent and mostly locally made. Cocoila is awesome too.

San Francisco's Burrito's are great. I also like Doughnuts in SF

Chicago Pizza and Sausages are great.

I like Seviche (with conch is great... whitefish is fine too) in Southern Florida.

Providence, RI has some great "Stuffies" (Stuffed Quahogs). Dell's Lemonade in the summer is great.

Northern New England (particularly Ben and Jerry's in VT and Gifford's in ME) does great with ice cream and other dairy.

I could go on about excellent BBQ I've had in different parts of the South but there's too much variety to get into.

I love streetfood in NYC. The "Halal" chicken and lamb gyros (or served with rice) is one of my favorite cheap eats down there. NYC also has just about anything you could ever want from anywhere in the world too. Best food town in the U.S. without a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 14,079 times
NY - Bagels, Pizza, Nathan's hot dogs, Gray's Papaya hot dogs, variety of ethnic food, pastrami/Jewish Deli, cheesecake.

NJ - All Italian food, Italian deli/salumerias, "Texas" weiners (deep-fried hot dogs), Taylor Ham, Jersey/Rutgers Tomatoes w/ Jersey grown Basil and fresh Mozz., Fat Sandwiches, Stromboli, Disco Fries, pastrami/Jewish Deli, boardwalk fries, Cluck U wings, White Manna and other burger joints' sliders, Jersey produce like blueberries, cranberries, corn, peaches, etc.; seafood from Jersey Shore, especially flounder that I catch myself...

Philly - Cheesesteak, Hoagies

Chicago - Chicago Hot dogs (w/ Vienna Beef, bright green relish, etc.), deep dish pizza, Italian Beef sandwiches

Milwaukee - Brats, amazing mom&pop burger places, custard creations,

Montreal - Poutine, steaks, "viande fumee" (smoked meat, similar to pastrami), montreal-style bagels (e.g. St. Viateur), Coffee Crisp candy bars

Memphis - Barbecue

Kansas City - Barbecue

Austin - Barbecue

San Antonio - Mexican food

Albuquerque - New Mexican food, green chile burgers, chile sauces (red and green)

San Diego - Fish Taco, Mexican food

Los Angeles - French dip sandwiches, hot dogs (Pink's and Carney's), Armenian food, Thai food, Sushi, tacos, fresh dates from Palm Springs, various other ethnic foods, In-N-Out burger, Fatburger

Seattle - seafood, apples, coffee

Las Vegas - Buffets, facsimiles of big-name restaurants from other cities but for lower prices and with no wait, a mix of mexican, asian, ethnic, and fast food similar to L.A.

San Francisco - "California Cuisine", seafood, wine from nearby Napa and Sonoma, Chinese and Japanese food

Miami/So. Florida - Cuban sandwich, Pollo Tropical (but we have them in Jersey now, too), Cuban food, Seafood, some southern food and BBQ also.

Boston - North End pizza and bread, pot roast, clam chowder, lobster (courtesy of nearby Maine), seafood like cod, scrod, haddock, striper, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally two Toes View Post
NY - Bagels, Pizza, Nathan's hot dogs, Gray's Papaya hot dogs, variety of ethnic food, pastrami/Jewish Deli, cheesecake.

NJ - All Italian food, Italian deli/salumerias, "Texas" weiners (deep-fried hot dogs), Taylor Ham, Jersey/Rutgers Tomatoes w/ Jersey grown Basil and fresh Mozz., Fat Sandwiches, Stromboli, Disco Fries, pastrami/Jewish Deli, boardwalk fries, Cluck U wings, White Manna and other burger joints' sliders, Jersey produce like blueberries, cranberries, corn, peaches, etc.; seafood from Jersey Shore, especially flounder that I catch myself...

Philly - Cheesesteak, Hoagies

Chicago - Chicago Hot dogs (w/ Vienna Beef, bright green relish, etc.), deep dish pizza, Italian Beef sandwiches

Milwaukee - Brats, amazing mom&pop burger places, custard creations,

Montreal - Poutine, steaks, "viande fumee" (smoked meat, similar to pastrami), montreal-style bagels (e.g. St. Viateur), Coffee Crisp candy bars

Memphis - Barbecue

Kansas City - Barbecue

Austin - Barbecue

San Antonio - Mexican food

Albuquerque - New Mexican food, green chile burgers, chile sauces (red and green)

San Diego - Fish Taco, Mexican food

Los Angeles - French dip sandwiches, hot dogs (Pink's and Carney's), Armenian food, Thai food, Sushi, tacos, fresh dates from Palm Springs, various other ethnic foods, In-N-Out burger, Fatburger

Seattle - seafood, apples, coffee

Las Vegas - Buffets, facsimiles of big-name restaurants from other cities but for lower prices and with no wait, a mix of mexican, asian, ethnic, and fast food similar to L.A.

San Francisco - "California Cuisine", seafood, wine from nearby Napa and Sonoma, Chinese and Japanese food

Miami/So. Florida - Cuban sandwich, Pollo Tropical (but we have them in Jersey now, too), Cuban food, Seafood, some southern food and BBQ also.

Boston - North End pizza and bread, pot roast, clam chowder, lobster (courtesy of nearby Maine), seafood like cod, scrod, haddock, striper, etc.
You are the second person to mention apples for Seattle and ya got me curious. What's different/special about Seattle's apples?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post

To NYers - What makes a NYC bagel so special? Never had one and not a big bagel person, but I'm just curious. I definitely have to give NYC best pizza though. The best pie I've ever had was in NYC. They are definitely pricey though.

A good bagel has the same root as good pizza. You start from the dough.
Most pizza and bagel shop owners will agree it is the water, although food scientist will say differently.

On other hand Saint Louis also produces very decent bread products, including bagels. Panera bread is based here (and still known as "the St. Louis Bread company") But the pizza here is horrid.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 14,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
A good bagel has the same root as good pizza. You start from the dough.
Most pizza and bagel shop owners will agree it is the water, although food scientist will say differently.

On other hand Saint Louis also produces very decent bread products, including bagels. Panera bread is based here (and still known as "the St. Louis Bread company") But the pizza here is horrid.

Are you speaking of Imos or St Louis style? My wife and I ordered the pizza by chance one night from our hotelroom in St. Louis. That gooey cheese they use is realy good actually IMO. Topped with parmesean and baked on a cookie sheet I think?
There is an Italian restaurant also about 10 miles south of ST Louis that has outstanding St Louis syle pizza.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
There is a whole thread on Imo's Pizza. There is no in between, you either love it or hate it.

I'm a New York Pizza Snob and As far as I'm concerned, this area hasn't figured out too make Pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.