Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM

271 posts, read 657,615 times

Advertisements

I thought this could be a fun thread for anyone that needs a good laugh.

What are some of the most stupid laws that you have heard?

I got a few but the one that tops my list is:

In the state of Washington if you go into a town with the intent of committing a crime, you are required by law to contact the local sherriff, police dept ahead of time to let them know that is your intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Here's a link that I found:

Stupid Laws - Washington

Some stupid Seattle area laws:

Women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term.

No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission.

No person may walk about in public if he or she has the common cold.

No structure shall contain more than two toilets that use potable water for flushing. (San Juan county, Created 1995!!!)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
I just looked at that website. For one in California it said:

It is illegal to molest butterflies. (Pacific Grove)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
In Riverside, CA, it is illegal to french kiss.

In Arizona, it is illegal to wear your hair in a ponytail.

Actually, the morning show for KCAL 96.7 FM based out of Redlands, CA, used to (still?) have a segment called "Breaking the Law" (complete with the Judas Preist song), where they'd call a "Mike Smith" in a city/state where these kinds of laws existed, and have him break the law on the air.

I'm surprised I don't remember more of them.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 PM

271 posts, read 657,615 times
I'm surprised I haven't heard more.

I think that it is in New Mexico that woman are not allowed in public with unshaven armpits. . (Not necessarily a bad law )

Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I just looked at that website. For one in California it said:

It is illegal to molest butterflies. (Pacific Grove)
Actually a good law...it's where the Monarch butterflies winter over. Nearly their entire North American population is packed into a few square block area. Noise disturbs them and can be detrimental to them. Since just about all of them in the world are packed in there they passed the law to protect them.

You can go walk around there, but are asked to be quiet. It's kind of surreal...I told my wife it's like walking around in an animated Walt Disney movie with all the butterflies flying around you and literally coating the trees.

As far a stupid laws go, I live near Lynchburg, TN, home of Jack Daniels Whiskey. Moore County, where Lynchburg is located is a DRY county. You can't buy Jack Daniels Whiskey in Lynchburg. They can't give you samples at the distillery tour.
The neighboring county, where I live 13 miles from Lynchburg is a wet county. Jack Daniels wanted to put a distillery here some years ago, but the people voted against it...said they didn't want liquor made here.
So, if I have this straight, you can make whiskey in Moore County, but not buy it.
You can buy and sell whiskey in my county, but not make it.
Makes sense...

Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,177,128 times
Delcambre, LA has banned "sagging pants/exposure of underwear" and you can be fined if your underwear shows at all. I think the style is dumb, yes it may be cool for teenagers but what a silly thing to fine.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Delcambre, LA has banned "sagging pants/exposure of underwear" and you can be fined if your underwear shows at all. I think the style is dumb, yes it may be cool for teenagers but what a silly thing to fine.
In Flint, MI they actually have this same law, but you can and just might be arrested for it. Really stupid I personally think it has to do with racial profiling. It is punishable by 93 days to 1 year in jail and $500 in fines.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Used to be the law in Maine that all males must bring a shotgun or rifle to church in case of Indian attack...made sense in the frontier days but it outlived its usefulness before it was repealed rather recently (I believe it was repealed as I can no longer locate it in the statutes)...

In Vermont, you can't paint cows. Some dirt roads may, with the permission of the town selectboard, be gated off by property owners. This actually is useful for livestock purposes but it has lead to some very "interesting" situations too...including recently where an armed church group chased off a person later found to be a drug dealer from opening the gate on an unused dirt road.

Also in VT, not statutes but caselaw: a sex offender may get 30 days in prison for molesting someone, but you can several years for animal cruelty.

One other: in VT, the double yellow lines on the roads are meaningless. Meaning, you can cross them at will. Unusual, but practical for farmers whose lands are crossed by roads...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
I was told that it is law in Idaho that you are entitled to have one beer on your lunch break, and it is against the law to get fired for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.