Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:01 PM

133 posts, read 412,306 times

Advertisements

-Atlantic = Virginia Beach.
-Gulf Coast = Houston.
-Pacific = Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 02:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Atlantic: NYC & Boston
Gulf: Houston (close enough) & New Orleans
Pacific: San Francisco & Honolulu

Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Need I say more? Which is your favorite city on the east coast and why? Favorite city on the Gulf Coast and why? Favorite city on the West Coast and why?

Having never been to the West Coast myself, I don't think I'm in a position to pass judgement there. For the east coast I definitely pick New York just because of how large and full of life it is compared to every other East Coast city IMO. It's also the only major city on the East Coast I've been to so again my judgement probably is not that great. If New Orleans had not been wrecked by Katrina, that city would have been my choice because it essentially drew the attitudes of a Southern coastal city combined with the culture of the Mississippi River as well as a true melting pot. New Orleans when I visited there in 1993 or 1994 had more flavor and distinction and culture than any city I've seen since then. Post-Katrina I guess I'd have to resort to Houston.
Favorite City on the east Coast? Well I would Say Virginia Beach. Why? Because it is the only city north of FLorida with a warmer climate on the east coast.(Big City), plus I don't hear any bad things about it as well as I know it is beautiful.

Gulf Coast? Tampa, I'm sure it's not hard to figure out why that is my favorite city, but being unbiased, then Probably my favorite non Florida Gulf Coast city would be Houston!

West Coast? Never been, but just from Sports and TV, has to definately be Seattle!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,476 times
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
Aloha everyone

Does Galveston count? I love the whole Houston area. You can see ships in all sizes coming & going none stop plus it is just a great place. The only draw back is the oil refinery's, they are everywhere. I've been to New Orleans & I'm not crazy about that city & I've been to a few other coastal cities but I don't like them that much

You like to see ships? I am from the Baton ROuge-New Orleans and our ports are the busiest in not only the country but the world. Sorry you didnt have a good time in NO. Hope you give us another shot!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymcghee View Post
You like to see ships? I am from the Baton ROuge-New Orleans and our ports are the busiest in not only the country but the world. Sorry you didnt have a good time in NO. Hope you give us another shot!
I've often wondered, are there any decent beaches in Louisiana, maybe west of New Orleans? I look forward to visiting New Orleans soon.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Pacific: L.A. (my hometown)
Gulf: Pensacola (though I have heard that people who are initially "wowed" then move away after a while)
Atlantic: Atlanta (it's in a state that has a coast), but if you insist on a port city, then N.Y.C. (only been to Boston once, so not enough to form an opinion)

Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Savannah, Corpus Christi, Santa Cruz.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Big Cities:
Pacific Coast: San Francisco and LA
Gulf Coast: New Orleans and Tampa
East Coast: Miami and Boston

Small cities:
Pacific Coast: Monterrey, CA
Gulf Coast: Destin, FL
Atlantic Coast: Charleston, SC

Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Of those cities that I've been so far:

East Coast: New York. Just the monstrosity and energy is extremely captivating for a tourist. I'd probably like Savannah or Charleston better, however, because of their Southern charms, but I've not been to either.

West Coast: Orange County. Went each time liking it much more than I thought I would (I found coastal OC to be rather snobby, however.) I think I would also like San Diego, the Inland Empire, and, at least for visits, Portland and Seattle.

Gulf Coast: I want to say Houston, but while I've been in the city limits, I've barely been "in" it. I really think I'd like it. For now, I'd have to say Galveston. I just really enjoyed it. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL is very nice, too, with some of the best beaches in the U.S., IMO.

Maybe this list will change over time as I visit more cities.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Charleston SC, Key west, & Astoria Oregon.

The first two should need no explanation.

Astoria because it has water on 3 sides, 4 if you count the snow on the mountains. The town is perched on a hill so views abound. The houses are small and they are cute.

Plus it is an easy day trip to Portland which is one of those great places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.