Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times

Advertisements

Of metropolitan areas Bismarck, North Dakota. It's not prone to earthquakes, it's far enough north that the global warming shouldn't be too much problem, and its economy is fairly stable judging by that NPR map on another thread. Potential downside is flooding and tornadoes.

For a small/smallish town maybe Lewistown, Montana. It seems to be in a county with a low rate of both foreclosure and unemployment. I think Montana has less tornado and flood risk than the Plains. It's far enough north that warming shouldn't be too bad and I don't think it's in an earthquake zone.

For a truly small town Bison, South Dakota. It's one of the most remote American towns so should be far from rampaging hordes of urbanites. Its county also has a low unemployment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
From what I know about LDS, I'd say Salt Lake City (you asked cities, not small towns or the country). I believe LDS members have to have a stockpile of food and necessities in the event of disaster, so this would help them get through any collapse in the event the GOP gets back into power.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, given that society collapse would be a temporary thing, people would start salvaging from the wreckage to rebuild, only on a smaller scale. To me, local governments would declare martial law, basic necessities would be provided, and the country would probably devolve into a collection of smaller, regional governments rather than isolated city states. This is particularly true in the sense that the major political units of this country, the states, have their own rather well-trained military forces that would impose order fairly quickly. In that sense, the question is regional in nature. So I would have to say the South, for a number of reasons:

1) Lower population density
2) Higher electrical capacity in coal and hydroelectricity -- the region exports electricity to the rest of the country
3) Immediate access to oil, coal, and natural gas -- very large reserves
4) Highly-developed agricultural sector with longer growing season
5) Strong, growing manufacturing/technology sector --
6) Diverse manufacturing, including automotive, aerospace, technology, heavy manufacturing, textiles, etc.
7) Abundance of water
8) Social cohesion
9) Good transportation network
10) More active national guard, more pervasive military tradition

While any region of the country can lay claim to any number of these factors (Salt Lake City, for example, would score high on social cohesion), there would be accompanying shortcomings that would retard recovery or inhibit stability. For example, the Pacific Northwest has no shortage of water and brainpower, but access to fossil fuels might be problematic. California, while certainly able to boast agriculture and oil, might have problems with social disorder and a lack of water. To me, the Northeast gets the booby prize with high population density, inadequate agriculture and power generation, and a gutted manufacturing capacity. The rest, including the Great Plains and the Midwest, would lurch along, but all would be missing one or two of the key elements.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-12-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.