Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times

Advertisements

To say that 'most' Northerners dont like living in the north is a misnomer and a falacy. You cant judge people's preferences by population growth either. I know tons and tons of people in the Midwest, who have lived there their whole lives, and like it. Every place in America has pros and cons. I am no fan of winter, but I dont like the heat either. I have lived in the Sunbelt of Arizona for years now and can tell you tah it is highly overrated.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NCN - where is Metrolinia?

Actually I think I'll snowbird to take advantage of the warmer weather (not much), the clear skies and the open land, like in New Mexico. If I only wanted to be warm I would go all the way to Belize, Venezuela or, if I could afford it, New Zealand.

PS: I don't hate the Deep South. I don't hate anywhere, anything or anyone. Mostly I am amazed by the gullibility of Southerners and contemptuous of the people that gull them.
Charlotte metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southerners seem more gullible than they are. Have you ever seen Mayberry and Andy using the good manners but ending up showing the person who thought he was gullible that he was wrong?

Yes there are some people who are smarter than others here, but with most it is just a matter of manners. We ignore bad behavior, but within six months of moving here most people learn a respect for who we are. Most people who move here have moved into a very high class area and if they can learn to act with class, they are welcomed. If they don't act with class; we ignore them and they get to socialize with themselves. So most people who move here and complain...enough said.

BTW: I love New Mexico. We stopped in Demning for the night once and I thought I was in Myrtle Beach. That was years ago and it may have changed, but we were really surprised by the activity going on in the middle of the night. I don't think the town shut down at all. We asked about all the activity the next morning when we were checking out and were told about the limitless supply of water underground and the good weather making it a place to be.

Last edited by NCN; 01-22-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Michigan is strongly connected to Tennessee for some reason. I've noticed this for a long time. There seems to be a disproportionate number of people in TN who are originally from Michigan, have lived in Michigan, or have family in Michigan. I dunno why it's Michigan of all places. I remember being in a group of people and every one of them was born in Michigan except me.
There are some strong connections between MI and much of the upper south, esp KY and TN. 80 years ago many poor southerners moved north for auto jobs. Just as the south groans about too many moving in and changing thier states, the same happened in Michigan 2 or 3 generations ago. The states population more than doubled in a very short period, and Detroit became the great boomtown of its time. Most people in Michigan have some connection to the south to this day. Now that fortunes have reversed and Michigan is impoverished while the south booms, those migrations are being reversed. Many of the people moving south from MIchigan anyway, are likely the grandsons and grandaughters of people who left the south years ago. I think this is why people from Mi seem to do better when they move south than say those from the northeast. Southern life is literaly already in thier blood.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009
Metro Crime Rate Rankings (High to Low)
1. Pine Bluff, AR
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3. Saginaw, MI
4. Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.
5. New Orleans, LA
6. Florence, SC

7. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9. Albuquerque, NM
10. Fayetteville, NC
11. Columbus, GA-AL
12. Little Rock, AR
13. Jackson, TN

14. Flint, MI
15. Stockton, CA
16. Lawton, OK
17. Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
18. Orlando, FL
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Mobile, AL
21. Birmingham-Hoover, AL
22. Sumter, SC
23. Miami (greater), FL

24. San Francisco (greater), CA
25. Macon, GA
Looks like you left out the Northeast.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
I can stand to stay "up north". So don't worry yourself on the openheads front.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augr0399 View Post
This is a real ignorant statement. You must have never seen a Southern Belle.
The one with all her teeth?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think it's like Florida -- southern in geography only.
You can't be serious. What makes you think FL is "southern in geography only"??

Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are some strong connections between MI and much of the upper south, esp KY and TN. 80 years ago many poor southerners moved north for auto jobs. Just as the south groans about too many moving in and changing thier states, the same happened in Michigan 2 or 3 generations ago. The states population more than doubled in a very short period, and Detroit became the great boomtown of its time. Most people in Michigan have some connection to the south to this day. Now that fortunes have reversed and Michigan is impoverished while the south booms, those migrations are being reversed. Many of the people moving south from MIchigan anyway, are likely the grandsons and grandaughters of people who left the south years ago. I think this is why people from Mi seem to do better when they move south than say those from the northeast. Southern life is literaly already in thier blood.
This is so true. Prior to WWII, Detroit was overwhelmingly white, 2nd or 3rd generation Euro ethnics. The rural Southern blacks and whites who came to the city for the auto jobs changed the city as much as Northerners are changing Atlanta or Raleigh or Charlotte today. It's a natural thing in a society and economy like ours.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
"southern belles"...LOL. ppl stuck in the past.

southern women are pretty much like any other women as far as looks (we aren't talking about fashion...thats a completely different issue). with that said, there are places in the north, such as nyc, that have more of a variety of women. some ppl may find that they are attracted to certain ethnicities or races or whatever. there might be a certain quirk that you find attractive. you can find all of that in nyc.

there is much less variety in the south (and other areas as well) in comparison to nyc. however, good representations of women in the south would be dc, atl, miami...there are decent amounts of variety in those cities.

with that said, you take your guy that is into southern belles and you put him in the middle of a crowd during the dominican day parade and it'll blow his mind. guaranteed.

if we are not talking about variety at all (and lets be honest, a large portion of the south is either white or black...a few latinos in the mix but there isn't much variety) and we are talking about your typical female from the south vs your typical female from the north, i'm betting on the one from the north looking better overall.

moving into fashion a lil bit, ppl in the south in general tend to just throw on whatever and walk outside. ppl here iron clothes and have to look a certain way before they even think about going anywhere. just an observation.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Michigan is strongly connected to Tennessee for some reason. I've noticed this for a long time. There seems to be a disproportionate number of people in TN who are originally from Michigan, have lived in Michigan, or have family in Michigan. I dunno why it's Michigan of all places. I remember being in a group of people and every one of them was born in Michigan except me.
TN is MI's connection, NC and FL is NY's, and AZ is IL's. Strange how that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.